727 question

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
Eventually, one on these years, I'm going to finish the 68 B'cuda ragtop. I am going with a 383 that I may or may not stroke out to 4-something. Regardless, it's an automatic car and will stay as such. Brings me to my question. I have avail to me, 3 727's. Wondering if one would be preferred over another. All 3 will need a rebuild, as they came out of "it ran when I parked it" vehicles, but we're original to each of their respective cars.
They are out of a '69 fury 383 4 barrel car, a 68 300, and a 71 imperial.

So again, would one be the prerred transfer to build?

71 Imperial. It will have the wide bushing drum/stator assembly and 4 pinion planataries. And the part throttle kick down. And the front servo on the 71 should be replaced with the 70 and back servo. Not really nessasary, I just like it better. Kim

Last edited:
And by 71, the 727 was pretty much at the top of her game.
But don't sell the older ones, you may be able to pirate some good small parts; like a governor, a KD-servo, and a 4.xx KD-lever.

Thanks for the insight, folks. 71 it will be. I'll keep one of the others for a spare/future project. We're planning a move this summer and I'm starting my plan to cleannout some.

I get a lot of post-71 trannys without the PTK. You never know what somebody might have switched around so you have to double check everything.

-
Back