727 questions

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
Greetings fellow forum members. This is my first post. My car is a 1974 Dart with 318 and 727 Trans. The 318 is pretty strong and has a 292-508 cam in it. The transmission doesn't shift into 3rd until about 60 Mph but seems perfect other than that. Maybe it's got a shift kit? Or maybe the Modulator is bad?? Any help or comments will be appreciated. Here's a link to the Listing when it was for sale. It's mine now so the auction should really be deleted but it's still there.
http://forums.usedcarsplus.com/classic-cars/03-use/dodge/220797265766.html#IMAGES

Thanks,
Gerry

There isn't a modulator like GM products. There is mechanical linkage relaying throttle pressure to the trans. There is a proper procedure for setting up that linkage in a factory service manual.
Since that car really shouldn't have a 727 trans , Maybe someone put it under there and didn't set it up correct or used the wrong linkage. 904, 727, 2brl, 4 brl, all different. Good luck

You will see a (what is called a kick down linkage) that is running along side of your throttle cable, I agree it should be a 904 unless it has been changed out to a 727.
If it is shifting at 60 mph I would adjust the solid linkage so it will set farther forward..
The transmission is thinking you have it to the floor and the passing gear is staying engaged (second or lower gear).. adjust it correctly and a little at a time or you could hurt the transmission
This is the best I could do to explain, a tech will jump in here and help
Welcome aboard this great site

Thanks for the replies. She's def. a 727 and has the dogleg shape by the dipstick tube which can be seen from under the hood looking down. It's actually kind of cool how it stays in 2nd until hwy speed but I just want to be safe. Don't want to damage anything. I plan on driving this car nice & easy to shows and just around town. I'll do a little adjustment at a time and see how it affects the shifting. Thanks again for the quick replies.

Quick question, I have a 1967 dodge dart , its got a mild big block and a clucth flite, the shifter seems to go through second if you try to run it through the gears quickly, (like on a dragstrip) but on the highway it goes just fine, ive replaced the shifter with a b&M unit but t still does it, i need help the local transmission guys have never heard of this clucth flite, help

Quick question, I have a 1967 dodge dart , its got a mild big block and a clucth flite, the shifter seems to go through second if you try to run it through the gears quickly, (like on a dragstrip) but on the highway it goes just fine, ive replaced the shifter with a b&M unit but t still does it, i need help the local transmission guys have never heard of this clucth flite, help

It's a 727 Torqueflite.

yeah , so whats wrong with it then
/ is it the shifter, though it couldnt be ive replaced it already so what else could be wrong, and does anyone know if these trannys do well in a daily driver?

yeah , so whats wrong with it then
/ is it the shifter, though it couldnt be ive replaced it already so what else could be wrong, and does anyone know if these trannys do well in a daily driver?
727 Is a great transmission
(and the only auto for your big block
), I have yet to have one go bad on me . Has to be one of the strongest autos around , had one in my 650 HP 440 4x4 ramcharger , was still good when I sold it with 180,000 miles on it .
Are you saying you trans misses 2nd gear , it goes from 1st to 3rd ?

FIND A NEW TRANS SHOP , If the guy never heard of a torqueflight I would not bring my car there .

its doesnt miss it its just oh how to describe it, it just isnt as prounced as 1st and 3rd. you can find it but if you pull on the shifter to hard you can go through it. and its a clutch flite, its a 727 with a clutch, you use it to stop and to go but when shifting gears you can shift like a automatic

727 Is a great transmission
(and the only auto for your big block
), I have yet to have one go bad on me . Has to be one of the strongest autos around , had one in my 650 HP 440 4x4 ramcharger , was still good when I sold it with 180,000 miles on it .
Are you saying you trans misses 2nd gear , it goes from 1st to 3rd ?

FIND A NEW TRANS SHOP , If the guy never heard of a torqueflight I would not bring my car there .

I would be baffled if someone had a clucth flite too :happy3:

its an old launching system that was used before the lencos came out, dont beleive me look it up, my car has three pedals, and it take all three to drive it.

-
Back