727 Rebuild Advice

-
OK so I'm rebuilding my 727 transmission (original ) for my 68/383 Dart . I have it all apart no major wear on the hard parts. Here is my question. When I pulled apart the front clutch assy. it only has 6 return springs? What information I can find there should be either 8,10,or 12 springs depending on application. Is this a factory oops! or did someone do this for a performance improvement? Any input would be helpful.
I do have an extra front clutch from another 727 so I will install the springs from it to keep them matched.

Mark

That is kinda odd. Im going with 12 springs. 9 is what they normally come with. 10 isnt much of an upgrade so its 12 for me.

Ma Mopar did some odd things like that. Looking in the factory serv. manual of how many springs they used in a particular application doesn't make much sense to me. In reality it's a combination of several things that affect how many springs you need.

BTW: here's a run down of how many springs my 1970 serv. manual shows each application should have

225---- 12 springs
318---- 12 springs
340---- 6 springs
383---- 8 springs
383HP- 6 springs
440HP- 10 springs
Hemi--- 12 springs

-
Back