727 rebuild question

-

dzaraa

Reaction score
So in between homework and work I've been rebuilding my 727 transmission for my 74 duster, and I ran into a "stuck" point. When putting together the front clutch pack, the book says to use 4 clutches for a 360, but only 3 fit in there. Where I'm confused is that 3 came out of the front and 4 came out of the rear and 10 springs (which the table in the book doesn't have that combo).

Will 3 clutches be enough???

(First time rebuild....)

I'd add pictures....but I'll probably be one of the few engineers you'd meet that doesn't have a personal computer....haha!!

you can only put in the same number of clutches that came out....

unless you go to thinner clutch disc and thinner steels...which you will have to buy separate..

or can find a different front drum that holds 4 stock clutch disc...

How about for the return springs? 10 came out, but the book said the 360 has 9.

(I got this trans on craigslist so I have no idea what it was in its prior life)

You will find all kinds of diffences from written information, but thankfully most of them are of small consequence.
You will also find a crapload of different oppinons no matter where or who you ask, but most of them are also of small consequence. (like the spring question) 10, 9, 8, no big deal for any street car, but I never liked using an uneven amount. (does not really matter one bit) just a thing I have. :)

More springs will make the drum release faster, but also fights the hydraulic apply pressure holding the clutches in the applied position.
Less springs could let the clutches slip to much before they actally release causing heat and wear to the clutch discs.

I have taken the pressure plate from the 3 disc drum and stuck it in a lathe to shave the outside of the tabs that interlock to the drum down just enough to get four discs in it before with zero failures.
Just a thought for you.

3 will work fine, but four is better.

You will find all kinds of diffences from written information, but thankfully most of them are of small consequence.
You will also find a crapload of different oppinons no matter where or who you ask, but most of them are also of small consequence. (like the spring question) 10, 9, 8, no big deal for any street car, but I never liked using an uneven amount. (does not really matter one bit) just a thing I have. :)

More springs will make the drum release faster, but also fights the hydraulic apply pressure holding the clutches in the applied position.
Less springs could let the clutches slip to much before they actally release causing heat and wear to the clutch discs.

I have taken the pressure plate from the 3 disc drum and stuck it in a lathe to shave the outside of the tabs that interlock to the drum down just enough to get four discs in it before with zero failures.
Just a thought for you.

3 will work fine, but four is better.

Also check the drum height, you might be able to machine a new grove for the snap ring to allow one extra friction. That's been done tons of times. Thin frictions are not necessarly the right answer. Some builders claim, unless they are race plates, used with Kolene steels, they don't disapete heat properly and are prone to warpage.

Check yer local tranny shops man, & ask for a 4 disc drum would be alot easyer & there not un commen @ all. heck ive got a few of the early thin bushing & later thick bushing 4 disc drums in the shed,along with a few sets of 4 pin gear sets.

...............3 clutches will be fine..........my S/SS duster has ran 11.001 for 20 years with 3 front clutches.........kim...........

-
Back