727 shift cable housing repair

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
:banghead:

When I built my '62 Valiant V8 conversion, I screwed up: I ran the 727's shift cable too close to the exhaust, and it burned a hole in the outside rubber sleeve. Now ATF is leaking out of the cable onto the exhaust, making clouds of smoke. A friend of mine at a transmission shop told me I should be able to remove the transmission end of the cable, clean up the burned area, slide some heat-shrink tubing over it, and hit it with a heat gun to seal the hole. Does this sound feasible to you? The largest heat-shrink tubing I could find was 3/8" diameter, which is larger than the cable housing itself, but will it fit over the tranny end of the cable? Thanks in advance for your advice. Bill Crowell

:banghead:

When I built my '62 Valiant V8 conversion, I screwed up: I ran the 727's shift cable too close to the exhaust, and it burned a hole in the outside rubber sleeve. Now ATF is leaking out of the cable onto the exhaust, making clouds of smoke. A friend of mine at a transmission shop told me I should be able to remove the transmission end of the cable, clean up the burned area, slide some heat-shrink tubing over it, and hit it with a heat gun to seal the hole. Does this sound feasible to you? The largest heat-shrink tubing I could find was 3/8" diameter, which is larger than the cable housing itself, but will it fit over the tranny end of the cable? Thanks in advance for your advice. Bill Crowell

Sorry Bill but I'm missing something here. Why do you have ATF in the shift cable to begin with.

Terry

I believe there is always ATF in the shift cable, but normally you just don't realize it because it is fully sealed. That is what I was told by my friend at the transmission shop, and my experience with him is that he really knows his stuff.

Looking at the factory service manual exploded diagram of this part of the 727, I don't see anything that would keep ATF out of the shift cable where it runs along under the chassis, but gravity prevents it from coming up to the carb end of the cable.

I believe there is always ATF in the shift cable, but normally you just don't realize it because it is fully sealed. That is what I was told by my friend at the transmission shop, and my experience with him is that he really knows his stuff.

I see, the reason I asked is that I had to replace the shift cable on my 727 cuss I burned of the outer plastic coating (go figure) and since it was a B+M shifter I just went and got a new cable. I'm pretty sure there was no oil in it originally. Or are we talking about the old shift down cable that goes from the carb to the tranny. Cuss if that's the case you can go to Lokar and probably rig up one of their shift down cables.

Terry

Sounds like apples and oranges. I would bet with your pushbutton trans. a little silicone sealant and large enough shrink wrap would seal it up nicely.

Bill, is this a standard 727, like the mass produced ones. Or is it a push button?

I have a B&M shifter in my Duster. The cable suffered the same fate on the header. I simply replaced it. I did think about what you are describing and "Patch it" with a sleeve and wrap it tight.

On tranny fluid being in the sleeve of the cable, not on my B&M or anyother I seen.
The speedometer cable is also fluidless, but, it could get in there IIRC, your right, there is nothing to stop it from going up the cable. But there is no pressure line to feed it. Inside theres a dry power, film/coating.
(OK, I'm reaching here a tad.)
I can not think what it is called. From what I remember, it is a dry lube for the speedometer cable.

Bill, is this a standard 727, like the mass produced ones. Or is it a push button?

I have a B&M shifter in my Duster. The cable suffered the same fate on the header. I simply replaced it. I did think about what you are describing and "Patch it" with a sleeve and wrap it tight.

On tranny fluid being in the sleeve of the cable, not on my B&M or anyother I seen.
The speedometer cable is also fluidless, but, it could get in there IIRC, your right, there is nothing to stop it from going up the cable. But there is no pressure line to feed it. Inside theres a dry power, film/coating.
(OK, I'm reaching here a tad.)
I can not think what it is called. From what I remember, it is a dry lube for the speedometer cable.

You're probably thinking of moly disulphide, or just straight graffite there Rob.

Terry

maybe you could clean it and coat it in the vinyl stuff they sell to dip tool handles in at the home depot

Busted Knuckles wrote: "Am I missing something here? I am not sure what cable is being discussed."

Arrrgh, please forgive my dumbness, Busted and others: when I actually got under the car, I realized it was the parking sprag cable. So is that cable supposed to have an O-ring where it connects to the transmission?

-
Back