727 shift linkage

-

383Scampman

Reaction score
I have a '72 Scamp, 383, 727, 9". T.T.I. headers. I really want to retain the column shift so that both wife and I can drive. the lever is on the column but I don't have the rest of the linkeage that goes to the 727. Can anyone help? It is very crowded down there with the headers, tranny lines and wires. Thank you, Tom

Don't you have to flip the linkage crossbar supports when using headers? Or is that just the hedman/hooker/flowtech varieties?

Have you checked the classifieds or posted a want ad? There are dozens of folks on here with parts lingering in their basements/garages/sheds who'd likely be happy to sell them to you

You will need to go with early stuff prior to the one piece rod on most later 70s. It will have a bell crank on a bracket that bolts to the rear of the intake manifold bolt and will also have a bell crank on the bell housing that pivots on a shaft the screws into the tranny. This allows the firewall clearance you need for the linkage to function.

It will have a bell crank on a bracket that bolts to the rear of the intake manifold bolt and will also have a bell crank on the bell housing that pivots on a shaft the screws into the tranny

I think you're talking about the kickdown...?

Attachments

• 4305 (1).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 269
Thanks: txstang and mguner Txstang, I am looking for the shift linkage that goes from the column to the 727. Your picture shows what Ibelieve to be kickdown linkage. mguner I will try want ad. Thanks again guys, your the best. Later, Tom

Is your wife in some way unable to reach a floor shift?
Hooray for her actually wanting to drive a 383-powered Rocket.
My wife wants absolutely nothing to do with my S. And to tell the truth,I'm glad of that.But then, I'm 62 now. I more or less do whatever I want. As does she. At the end of the day, we still sleep in the same bed.
But I digress.

Tom: I have several sets of the A body linkages from a 904 column shift automatic. Many pieces are the same but the Z bar (I've been told) is slightly different. I have successfully modified this linkage to work on a 727 many times and with the headers, you may have to modify it regardless.

My $.02 - convert to floor shift, stock or aftermarket, it looks better, and will preform better..

You can get a Hurst Pro-Matic 2 automatic shifter on eBay for $120 shipped brand new, and is well worth it, comes with a cover, shift/gear indicator, and is lighted for night driving. Sure it takes a bit of an adjustment period but it's worth it..

I will add what I ran into, I had the shift linkage for a small block 727,everything worked, but I was unable to get the linkage to adjust to give me low 1. I had a straight shift lever off the trans, bought and tried one that was kind of u shaped thinking that'd give me extra throw but it and the straight lever ended up positioning the shift rod at the same place. What I discovered was the arm off the torque rod on the trans side was hitting the boss on the trans where the big block throttle valve linkage stud screwed in to the housing. I ended up cutting the weld for the inbd torque shaft lever ( the vertical arm) re indexing it and welding it back to the actual torque shaft. This gave me all gears. I think the extra width of the big block bell housing is the reason for the interference. Not saying all are that way but mine was. This is on my 71 Demon with the 440/727 with tti headers.

Thank you : AJ/FormS, gregpurcell, zacF71. To AJ/FormS: My wife is 75 years young and loves the smell of race gas in the morning. Greatest lady on the planet, loves me and nitro ,too. To gregpurcell: someone just contacted me, re. parts. If it doesn't work I'll p.m. you. zac F71: Plan "B" is factory shifter. Plan "C" is Hurst. Hate cable shifters. The Mrs. hates 'um too. Plan "D" is open to further discussion. Thanks so much for the help. Tom

Thanks Dubob, I don't even have a 904 llinkage. got lost these past 10 years. I expect to have some fab work to do. It's called hot rodding. Thanks so much for all the input. I could not have done this project without FABO's help. Stay safe guys and gals, Tom

I would go factory floor shift then, you can modify your column shift, column to look like a floor shift column, so you in fact don't have to switch columns..

I know if you run the factory floor shift you have to flip the linkage attachment upside down so it clears the header.

-
Back