727 shifter seal

-

caseyvaliant

Reaction score
i recently switched from a 904, to a 727. the 727 came from a wrecking yard. i got it in the car and it works great the only set back is that it leaks alot of oil where the shifting linkage seal is. has ayone replaced one of those. i was also wondering if i had to pull the pan off to fix it. i dont know anything about these. hope its somthing easy to repair. thanks for any input

Is it in the car? If it is.... you have to pull the pan and valve body.
If not, the best way is still to pull the pan and valvebody.

Nut bolt and two washers will draw the new seal in.

ok thanks, yeah unfortunately its in the car. do you think i should be able to find the seal from any parts store. thanks again for the help

2q9w2h3.jpg

Slick ride, bummer its leaking. Good luck.... im in and out all day if you have a question

You should probably buy a factory service manual if you are planning to replace the selector shaft seal in the car. There must be 14 or so bolts in the valve body but, only 6 or so hold it up. No need to separate the valve body itself and drop the balls if you dont need to.

oh lord, i dont wanna drop the balls and mess it up. if i only pull the valve body bolts will the ball bearings fall out??

yeah the valve body is 2 halves with crap between that needs to stay in place. the shorter of the bolts hold the 2 halves together and the longer bolts hold it up.
There is one more way to replace that seal but it includes a new body plug in the trans tunnel / floor pan. It's top secret so you didn't get this info from me LOL
Good luck

lol. well my engine has been moved back and i have access to the top. is there a way i can fix it from the top without taking everything apart??thanks for the help

No the balls dont fall out unless you are working on a cheby. The only thing that will fall out will be the accumulator piston spring.... if its even in there now. A lot of them get tossed. I know i do.
Take the linkage levers off
Pan comes off
3 screws for the filter
10 1/2" bolts come out 3 in front 3 in back and 4 where the accum. is.
Valve body comes straight down to get the shifter clear then forward for the park rod to come out...***you may have to wiggle the drive shaft back and forth to get the park pawl to engage so the rod will come out***
Be sure that the car is on jack stands. when the v.b. is out its no longer in park!

Since you have acess you could cut the seal, chisel then pry/walk out.
deep well socket to drive the new one in?

ok. thanks for all this helpful information. i just orderd the seal and will be here tomorrow.im going to try to chisel the old seal out and drive the new one in from the top. thanks guys

got the new seal in! thanks for the help guys. i was able to get it from the top :)

-
Back