727 shifting in drag race??

-
May sound ultra old school, but I don’t use a tach for anything other than staging my footbrake car. Same goes with the shift light.
I have found I can be more consistent/ repeatable by shifting the car by feel/ ear, than any other way.
The car tells me exactly where to shift it at. Last outing I ran the exact same number 4 times. The other times the car ran a couple of numbers slower or faster was condition related( cooler early morning or late afternoon) with better or worse DA.
My driving lately has sucked, but I don’t feel at any disadvantage to guys shifting with air or electric or staring at shift lights.
That's impressive!

You should also understand that if the governor wants to shift it at say 5600 rpm and you manually shift it at say 5400. It won’t shift until 5600. Manual shifting an auto shift valve body will let you increase shift rpm, but not let you decrease it. The governor wants what it wants. Foot to the floor and click,click, careful you don’t go into neutral.

Below governor signal? It will let you down shift on command, but at WOT I don’t think it will shift below governor signal. Could be wrong. RMVB here, but ran an auto shift VB for years. Rolled a sprag with the least carnage possible.

My rule of thumb has always been to shift when the engine is no longer making more power, so, if your engine stops making power at 5800 rpm, that's your shift point. Leaving the shifter in "d" has never been my thing, wring it out and let it eat!

I was refering to leaving a fully auto. in drive for a burn out, governor isnt right for auto. to work in the 1/4 mile ..
I do have a 5800 rpm governor laying on the bench , but have never put it in , ans probly never will...

It is a bm quicksilver shifter. The transgo 2 allows for immediate manual shifts.
Read the documentation or call the company and see if it will let you start in 2nd gear. That is recommended for a burnout. Start in 2nd, move quickly to 3rd. Do you have a line lock on your front brakes?
Here is a short video. Watch the burnout. I start in 2nd, switch quickly to 3rd. I stayed in the burnout longer than normal because of weather conditions:

Last edited:
The transgo TF2 does not allow starting in 2nd gear. That's a function of the TF3 kit, which is fully manual.

Where about in Idaho are you? That shifter is a decent one.
Post Falls, I go to Spokane to race. The Friday race was cancelled. Only one more chance next weekend before they close for winter

This was last year. Not sure I need that much smoke but it hooked up well

Last edited:
Post Falls, I go to Spokane to race. The Friday race was cancelled. Only one more chance next weekend before they close for winter
Oh nice, way north. Yeah they are having a test n tune down here today before the end of the season. Wish I could have taken my car there today but don't have the personal safety equipment yet.

I only drag raced my 440 ‘cuda twice and I left it in drive. It had a 10” converter, TTI headers and exhaust and drag radials. The motor was a
20 over 440 with a Mopar 484" / .484" Lift cam. The heads were pocket porte. It also had a stock cast iron intake and a ‘68 440 AVS. The car went a 12.64 at the Mopar Nationals in 95 degree heat. The only thing done to the transmission was a shift kit and an A&A governor to control the shift points. I only made one pass that day because of the heat but I was satisfied with going that fast. The original plan was to build a 493 for that car and go 12.0’s. Now that 493 is going into my Belvedere.

I let my Dart shift on it's own with a governor out of a Dodge Colt for higher shift points. I adjusted it to shift at 6200 rpm and could have gone higher but I wanted to take it easy on my engine. I figured letting it shift on it's own would be more consistent than me shifting it.

Lol at the lights on that slow *** challenger
Funny that you should say that. That is my oldest son. It was a staging issue that he was not ready for and just got caught asleep at the switch. He was quite unhappy with that performance. He sold that challenger.

Funny that you should say that. That is my oldest son. It was a staging issue that he was not ready for and just got caught asleep at the switch. He was quite unhappy with that performance. He sold that challenger.
Yeah I seen him asleep lol.
Did he get an a-body ?

Yeah I seen him asleep lol.
Did he get an a-body ?
No, he bought a truck. We built the scamp together and I told him that he can drive it any time he wants. He has 4 young girls under 7 yo. He needed a truck more than a challenger. So he gets the best option. He can drive the scamp whenever he wants but does not have to store it. It stays on the lift out of the way. We put maybe 500 miles a year on it the last 3 years

No, he bought a truck. We built the scamp together and I told him that he can drive it any time he wants. He has 4 young girls under 7 yo. He needed a truck more than a challenger. So he gets the best option. He can drive the scamp whenever he wants but does not have to store it. It stays on the lift out of the way. We put maybe 500 miles a year on it the last 3 years
Awesome.

We finally got the Scamp to the dragstrip. 2 of my sons raced it. 6 runs total and we finally broke into the 11 seconds with a 11.727 and 11.710 runs. The runs were very close by each son. The older son won by a tenth of a second. That was our mission. Get into 11 seconds but not 11.49.

IMG-3456.jpg

1973 scamp race in Spokane

Nice! probably the best it's going to get, et and mph are pretty close. maybe a couple tenths more

-
Back