727 shifting problem

-

toddlum

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am having a problem with my 727 TF.let me start from the beginning. 1979 dodge b-200 4x4 conversion the other day I was on my way to my job the customer has a pretty steep drive way and pretty long anyway I was on my way up it i put it in 2nd and began to climb got to the top no problem btw the 727 shifted fine no problems at all prior.so I worked all day end of day loaded tools fired it up tried to put it in drive and it felt like no gears (like someone disconnected the linkage.so I looked at the linkage under van all ok put my hand on the shift arm and able to to move it with ease the trans is stuck in park.had to have it towed home.next day went back to same job with my other dodge van this one has a 904 same darn thing happened but this one started put it in D and atemped to go home for the day this time it got me home but would not come out of second.got home turned it off tried the shifter same thing feels same as other van no shifter detent but this won't start I'm thinking because its stuck in 2nd.asked local trans shop told me there rates could need a total rebuild.anyone have any ideas ?????

You probably either stripped or bent the shift arm on both transmissions. I don't think your going to need a full rebuild, most likely just replacing broken or bent external parts or dropping the pan and replacing a broken or bent lever.

You probably either stripped or bent the shift arm on both transmissions. I don't think your going to need a full rebuild, most likely just replacing broken or bent external parts or dropping the pan and replacing a broken or bent lever.

With the load put on the trans from parking on the steep hill could have stuck the trans in park and you damaged the shift arm or shaft forcing out of park.Should be an easy fix.
Did it take a good pull to shift out of park?
You should set the park brake before putting the trans in park on steep grade.

With the load put on the trans from parking on the steep hill could have stuck the trans in park and you damaged the shift arm or shaft forcing out of park.Should be an easy fix.
Did it take a good pull to shift out of park?
You should set the park brake before putting the trans in park on steep grade.

Thanks for the info much appreciated.Im gonna drop pan & valve body this weekend and see what I find.Btw I forgot to mention at the top of the long steep driveway it leveled out flat so there was no load on it at all and e-brake was on.This van is a beast it's over 5000 lbs has a 6in lift 33in tires pumped 360.once I get better at pc I will post pics of all my MOPARS.

-
Back