-

Joep

Reaction score
So heres my setup

71 demon 440
TCI 10 inch converter
727 trans
8 3/4 rear end with 3.91 gears

My problem is that when the car is cold it takes loads of power to get the darn thing moving! It could take up to 3500 rpms just to get it to start creeping. Now I haven't been at this for too long so im no expert but im pretty sure even with the 3.91 gears it shouldn't take that much to get it moving. When it warms up it seems to not take so much effort. The other day it was parked in my girlfriends parents and I wanted to get it out of there so they could have there garage back, my girlfriends mom wasn't feeling that well that day and was trying to sleep and the darn thing was just about screaming down the driveway! Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be?

Oh boy thats good news. I don;t know when it was last replaced so thats probably a good place to start.

If it was actually the trans slipping it would be fried to a crisp and the fluid would be burned black.
More likely it has a converter problem that needs to be addressed.
A good question for TCI maybe.

If your fluid is red and normal looking it's not the trans slipping, so what else is there in the chain of powerflow that could cause a loss of connection between the engine and trans?
(The converter right?)

Of course this assumes your filter isn't dirty and blocking fluid flow to the converter. :D

haha now thats the answer i was expecting. The fluid is pretty red to my eye so that must not be a good sign. But for all I know is that the filter is dirty and im hoping that is all that the problem is. The last thing i want to do right now is to dig in to tranny world when id rather just drive it haha

If it was actually the trans slipping it would be fried to a crisp and the fluid would be burned black.
More likely it has a converter problem that needs to be addressed.
A good question for TCI maybe.

If your fluid is red and normal looking it's not the trans slipping, so what else is there in the chain of powerflow that could cause a loss of connection between the engine and trans?
(The converter right?)

Of course this assumes your filter isn't dirty and blocking fluid flow to the converter. :D

^^^^This^^^^

haha now thats the answer i was expecting. The fluid is pretty red to my eye so that must not be a good sign. But for all I know is that the filter is dirty and im hoping that is all that the problem is. The last thing i want to do right now is to dig in to tranny world when id rather just drive it haha

Everyone wants to drive and not have to work on it but old cars require maintenance. Just one of them things you have to prepare for when owning an older automobile

BTW: what year car are we talking here and how many miles on it? I assume the trans has never been rebuilt?

Well heres the story.

It was my uncles 1971 Dodge demon, anything but stock. It was his car and he built it to be a street/strip car but more towards the strip. The car had absolutely no interior just two racing seats and roll cage. He built a 440 and put in a torque flight with a reverse manual valve body and a hurst ratchet shifter. It has NOS but is not hooked up right now. I was told that the car used to run a 12 second quarter mile with a 300+ lb man in the drivers seat.

This past year my uncle passed away out of the blue because of a ruptured spleen, just about a week after we brought his old 440 block to his storage shed to rebuild. In the hospital he said that if the worst happens I want Joe to get the car. And the worst happened.

So the car was left to me and I don't know a whole lot about what it has other than the little sheet of paper that I found that says what the car has. I am only 18 and I am learning more and more about the car everyday. My goal that I set a long time ago was to get the car inspected and drivable so that I could take it to my senior prom. But its having a hard time staying cool. I thought i had it all fixed on the day of prom and it was driving pretty good for 20 25 minutes at 190 but then it started to creep up and it just got too hot for me and i had to pull over and that pretty much ended the prom shpeel. It made it too my girlfriends house and thats where it stayed for a little while. I also noticed that it skips a little bit at cruise speed. So Ive got a couple bugs to work out before its gonna be reliable. Right now I'm just trying to figure out a lot about it and the transmission is one of the many so far.

I know it would kind of suck for you to have to do it, but if the filter is ok I would pull that converter and put a stock one in it for now.
From the sounds of what you want to do with the car you would probably be better off with a stocker in it anyway for daily driving type stuff.
This might also stop your heating issue's (the converter could be making it get hotter)

Under the circumstances you might solve both issue's by swapping it out for a stocker.

Defiantly drop the pan and check the fluid, also note if it's a stock pan or a deep pan, and if the dip stick tube is properly pressed in and the strap is bolted to the bell housing.

Also don't reuse the old fluid even if it looks fine. Get some dex IV or type F, also make sure you have a working kickdown/throttle psi linkage, and I'm guessing the car may have a B&M type floor shifter, if so those cables melt easy make sure whatever you have it's positively engaging the trans shift lever

Yes those cables do melt very easily. I've already had to replace it twice!

When's the last time it was gone through? Might be that time. They aren't hard to do.

We'll the last time I replaced it I bought some heat shield wrap to wrap around it and that seems to have helped

-
Back