727 swap help

-

braptor52

Reaction score
hello, im swapping a 727 into my /6 904 65 dart. it has the original floor shifter in it with two cables running out of it. one was a parking pawl cable and the other ran to the valve body controlling the rest of the gears. my question is, how do i go about using my original floor shifter with a 727. please help! this original floor shifter is too cool to scrap!

Also, I don't think that they made a 727 that is compatable with the 65 904 trans set up.

well, I've never seen the cable linkage for a floor shifter, but since on the 727 the parking pawl engages when the selector is put into park, as opposed to being a separate thing, I'd expect that just hooking up the gear selector cable assembly to the 727's gear selector would work, and just leave the park cable hanging. That is presuming the shifter cable will move the lever through all the gears, of course..

yes, i actually just got done looking at all the shifter linkage. it is possible to just run the primary cable, both cables are pushed forward (parking cable and the primary cable) when the gear selector is moved to the park position. so theoretically you could ditch the "parking brake cable" with running a 727. the only hold up i found is that shift lever/mechanism on the 727 i have is operated by linkage and not a cable style. is there any sort of adapter out there that would enable me to run a cable to the 727's shift lever??

...............U could try a B+M bracket or any company that makes auto shifters has some kind of a bracket......u should be able to get it gigured, may have to get a new cable also.....kim.......

It sounds like your 727 is a 66+ model with lever shift, since I think that change coincided with elimination of the parking cable. I doubt you can easily connect your cable shift to work with your tranny's lever shift. As oldkimmer says, look at an aftermaket cable (Lokar, etc).

There are cable-shift 727 for small block (I have one). They usually go for ~$100. To use it, you would just need the spacer ring to slip over your torque converter snout, or change the input shaft to the later type and use a later torque converter. With a 360, you need balancing weights on the torque converter. One neat thing about the early 904 & 727 is that you can push start the engine since they have a rear pump. In reply to an earlier post, there were 727's for the slant six, in taxis and trucks, though I don't know if cable-shift versions.

-
Back