727 swap

-

mjs69gts

Reaction score
Some of you know that I had my right leg amputted last year and my 69 Dart is a 4spd car.I need to know whaat I need to convert over to 727.I have a 416 stroker 500+ hp and torgue.The 8 3/4 rear has 4.86 gears and the tires are BFG drag radials,p325/50r15.od of 27.9" tall all help much apprecaited.Thanks guys.:burnout:

all you will really need is the trans/converter, you will need to take 4" out of your driveshaft. you will need the 727 yoke. coolant lines and cooler, the shifter cable/linkage which ever you choose to use, and the kinkdown/throttle pressure linkage if this is a street driven car. theres really not a whole lot to it.

i think i covered it, if not please chime in guys lol

What 73 said and a flex plate and engine to trans. support brackets. Some guys say they don't run the brackets but I always like to for the extra support for the lower part of the bellhousing. The passenger side is the same on all years but the drivers side changed in 74 so make sure and get the one that corresponds to the year of your engine block. Only thing I'm not positive about is the crossmember/mount. I haven't worked on any 4 spd cars so I'm not sure if the crossmember is the same. Maybe someone can comment on that.

What is the cars purpose? If you plan on much street driving you'll definitely need some more street friendly gears as 4.86's will be screaming at 45 mph. If it's an 1/8th mile drag car your ok. If you want to run the 1/4 mile you'll most likely need taller gears as most strokers don't spin 8000 rpm

One last thing, make sure and get a converter with a stall speed to match the engine/cam requirements and run the biggest trans. cooler you can fit in.

.............trans mounts are the same for either trans.........no hump change ........take spring off clutch pedal and put pedal under the carpet........can weld on a bigger plate to the brake pedal or leave as is......kim.......

A 904 swap might be easier. Built well it will hold up to that engine

I was running 4.89 gears in the quarter with a 4spd and my best time was 11.89 at 121 mph.That was 20 years ago bewfore i put the car away.The old motor is in storage now.What are the benifits of the 904 over the 727.Mostly street but do want to race it again in the quarter.

Lighter, less hp drag and you shouldn't have to mess with your driveshaft. Get a 904 yoke and it should be really close.

Ok,I also need imput on whos trany and convertor or whole kits available.I know of TCI and BM but they dont really show a 904 to handle this.

Stay away from ATI products. I've gotten nothing but bad customer service, and they don't pay attention to what they're doing when they build their products

...............Talk to Rick Allison at A&A Transmissions or John Cope @ Cope Racings Trans [CRT]...they can supply everything u need/want...they are both members here...........kim........

Can you build it yourself. They are easy to do. Don't need anything special to do them.

Video, ATSG manual, Munroe book and you're set on reference material.

You can build a stout trans for under $300 pretty easy, actually under $200.

Converters, I like T/A, ATI and A-1. Dynamic and Ultimate are pretty decent too. If you have a dyno sheet for the engine, even better and be honest about use if speaking with them.

Thanks Kimmer and I could but i dont have anything right now so Im getting as much info as possible keep sending me more info.

I was running 4.89 gears in the quarter with a 4spd and my best time was 11.89 at 121 mph.That was 20 years ago bewfore i put the car away.The old motor is in storage now.What are the benifits of the 904 over the 727.Mostly street but do want to race it again in the quarter.

If it's mostly for the street I can guarantee you will need to swap gears. My guess is the old motor was stock stroke engine so it liked low gears. If your stroker is 500+ hp and torque you don't need very low gears to be faster than it was with the old engine. Like CB said on the advantages of a 904. I'm not sure at what power level you need to go with a billet snout on the converter but I know I've read of guys breaking stock steel snouts. Maybe Rob can answer that. Another person to check with for a trans. is Chris at Andrews racing. He's also a member here and another great guy to deal with.

If it's mostly for the street I can guarantee you will need to swap gears. My guess is the old motor was stock stroke engine so it liked low gears. If your stroker is 500+ hp and torque you don't need very low gears to be faster than it was with the old engine. Like CB said on the advantages of a 904. I'm not sure at what power level you need to go with a billet snout on the converter but I know I've read of guys breaking stock steel snouts. Maybe Rob can answer that. Another person to check with for a trans. is Chris at Andrews racing. He's also a member here and another great guy to deal with.
I got some good advise from Chris Andrews when building my 904(lower 1st gear,Red belts,Blue clutches)I also run a Coan 8 inch 4500 stall.My convertor cost more than my trans,going on 3 years now running 10,s behind a 408 stroker sb.Good luck.:D

Definetly no lower than 4:10... since it's going to be mostly street driven and has an abundance of torque I'd go even higher, like 3:73 or 3.91... Mainly because I see no reason for having an engine screaming down the hwy at 4000 rpm if it's only raced once in a while.

-
Back