727 tail shaft question.

-

Badart

Reaction score
I have recently aquired a later model 440/727 combo that came with my 66 Plymouth Fury III. I believe it came out of a motor home. I already have the correct pan and pickup for the engine. There is no slip yoke on the transmission ouput shaft and It is the wrong housing. I already have the correct housing. My question is, do I only need a new output shaft? Are there other parts that I will need also to convert to a slip yoke for the Fury?

I still need to pull the drive shaft and see if it is splined for the 727. I know that the car was orginally a 318 car, but I am not sure what transmission came in the car orginally 904/727? Any ideas? Here is a pic of the tail shaft.

Tail shaft.jpg

Yes that looks like it's out of a MoHo or a truck. You'll need the output shaft for sure. Some of those applications may not have had a park position so I'm not sure what all you'll need until you take it apart. You will probably need the rear bearing, retainer ring and the cover as well.

Yes that looks like it's out of a MoHo or a truck. You'll need the output shaft for sure. Some of those applications may not have had a park position so I'm not sure what all you'll need until you take it apart. You will probably need the rear bearing, retainer ring and the cover as well.

So If I find a junk 727 for a car I sould be able to swap over the parts?

So If I find a junk 727 for a car I sould be able to swap over the parts?

Unless you've worked on a torqueflite before (and I'll bet you haven't) I think you would be better served just finding another working 727 out of a car. I know just about enough of them to be lethal, but without another complete 727 core, I wouldn't tackle it.

Good Luck on your '66! Post a pic!

Unless you've worked on a torqueflite before (and I'll bet you haven't) I think you would be better served just finding another working 727 out of a car. I know just about enough of them to be lethal, but without another complete 727 core, I wouldn't tackle it.

Good Luck on your '66! Post a pic!

I have found another complete core from a sb. How hard is it to swap over the tail shaft?

I have found another complete core from a sb. How hard is it to swap over the tail shaft?

In order to do this swap you will need to gut the case in order to pull out the output shaft and since your that far into it you may as well get a rebuild kit and rebuild it. It would be a good idea to order the Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook. Summit has them for $16.95 and it gives great instructions on how to rebuild,trouble shoot or service torqueflites. I would recomend this book even if you don't plan on rebuilding your tranny.

Yes will have to nearly completely dissamble the trans to change the output shaft so I too would consider rebuilding it since you're there already. The TF is probably the easiest automatic transmission to rebuild, They really are quite simple once you get familiar with it. Just pay attention to the details and be sure to check for grooves or worn areas anywhere a seal ring rides. If there are worn areas there then the bushing is probably worn.

If you have just about any Chrysler RWD service manual all the info you need to overhaul one should be in there. They changed very little over the years.

-
Back