727 tailshaft housing snap ring

-

lomchivok

Reaction score
I had a 727 rebuilt. The car was delivered with low pump pressures, seemed to be slipping. The guy put 12 springs in the fwd clutch in a trans that was basically a stock rebuild. He was supposed to put a trans-go tf-2 kit in it but didn't...don't know why.
Took the trans to a real shop. They found that the tail shaft housing snap ring had come out of it's groove and proceeded to chew up the shaft. All of the new alto red and steels were burnt. Will the snap ring coming loose create end play sufficient to cause clutch slip?? Or more, low pressures causing slippage??

Last edited:
If the snap ring in front of the bearing came loose then the shaft could move rearward; allowing the forward and direct drums and the governor to move rearward; losing pressure. But not the snap ring behind the bearing; and not the ring set into the tailshaft housing. If the snap ring at the front of the tailshaft came off, I don't see what difference it would make because the rearward movement of the tailshaft is limited by the front snap ring on the bearing. Maybe I'll learn something here.

If the snap ring in front of the bearing came loose then the shaft could move rearward; allowing the forward and direct drums and the governor to move rearward; losing pressure. But not the snap ring behind the bearing; and not the ring set into the tailshaft housing. If the snap ring at the front of the tailshaft came off, I don't see what difference it would make because the rearward movement of the tailshaft is limited by the front snap ring on the bearing. Maybe I'll learn something here.
I agree with everything, except;
If in the red highlight, you mean the skinny one at the front of the mainshaft, inside the sunshell, then I sortof agree on that ; but with the ring gone,the front annulus could walk forward. It can't go far, and I can't say it would be a big deal or not; but I bet it would make some ugly noises,lol. But as you answered in regards to the tailshaft, I agree on this also.

Thanks for your response guys. It was the snap ring in front of the bearing just behind the speedo gears cut into the shaft. Looks like I'm gonna need a bunch of new or brand new used rebuilt stuff.

12 springs in the forward clutch is what I always use, but I also always either install a TF-2 kit, a manual VB or at a minimum crank up the line pressure and open up a couple VB transfer plate holes to give the clutch packs and bands more apply pressure. It's really hard to guess what he did wrong but it sounds like a major screw up. I can't conceive how the snap ring coming out of the groove could cause a pressure loss but it will chew things up.

I talked with the transmission shop today. There were 2 snap rings that came loose. The one at the output shaft case and the one fwd of the rear bearing.

In talking to the initial "rebuilder" about what happened he said when he put the drive shaft in it was too long. The driveshaft shop welded the right yoke on but left it too long. Instead of realizing it had bottomed out on the output shaft he said he had to pry the the u joint onto the rear end yoke to get it to go on. Then he drove the damn thing...My head almost exploded when he said that but I bit my tongue and tried my best to remain composed. So, I'm sure that if prying on it didn't pop the case snap ring suspension travel did. He did take it back out and to Drive Line Service to get the length fixed.

Still no explanation on the bearing snap ring. At this point I'm surprised it was even there.

I could wring somebodies neck right now.
This transmission will end up costing me upwards of 3500 when it's all said and done. He hasn't offered any compensation yet and I haven't asked...I shouldn't have to.

Now he wants to build a 408 stroker. He knows I have a 1990 LA roller short block assembled and ready to go and wants to buy it........NOPE!!!! He aint touching anything of mine again.

This build has been going on for 7 months. You'd think he could at least of maybe got it right in that time.

Next time I'll just do it myself.

Don't blame you man, I wouldn't let him do anything for me again either. That's just plain stupid to install the driveshaft with no travel in it

-
Back