727 tailshaft seal question

-

Belvedere66

Reaction score
Hey all,

I just replaced my tailshaft seal a week ago and I've been having this very annoying squeaking. Come to find out, the dust boot won't stay folded over once the driveshaft pushes the back end of it into the tailshaft. It keeps popping back out and rubbing on the yoke where it's not supposed to and causing this sound. I've tried cleaning and lubing the yoke, I've had the driveshaft out twice to see if it just wasn't pushing it in enough but to no avail. Any tips on getting the boot to stay folded into itself?

Did the old seal have a dust shield. They do make the same seal without the shield.

Kinda sounds like your driveshaft's too long if the yoke is that close to seal..

There's the option of just cuting the shield off, sounds like you have minimum yoke exposure.. jmo

That dust boot isn't supposed to be turned inside, as it is supposed to stick out to keep dirt and crap away from the actual sealing lip.
You can trim it off and it wont hurt anything any more than the seals without a boot.
Don't worry about cutting or damaging anything under it as long what you use to cut it off with doesn't go more than about a half inch deep.
Or if you would rather, start at the end of the boot and split it back the the main metal part of the seal then you can use scissors or a razor blade and trim it off the rest of the way.
Just try not to scratch the crap out of the yoke is the main thing.
As you can see in this pic the seal is like any other seal except the dust boot is there.

3.jpg

Thanks for the input, sounds like I had gotten some wrong information about that boot. I probably won't cut it off completely but rather just trim it back a bit. I'll play it safe and just pull the shaft out before I do any cutting

You will find that trimming it back just leaves a big pointless rubber sleeve sticking out.
Do what you feel best to do, but I think you will find cutting it all off is a lot cleaner.
Also start the car if you are going to pull the driveline (which you don't need to do) because the fluid level might be high enough to loose some out the tail shaft unless you run it to pump the converter full again and get the level down first.

Personally I would just use a single edge razor blade and trim it loose from the seal and then split it long ways to get it off.
Do what you feel is best.

Last edited:
Thanks. I've had it off a couple times, I jack the rear only so nothing comes out so it works pretty well :p Yeah I guess you're right about just cutting it off. And it won't affect the seal? I mean other than allowing a bit of road dust to get on the part of the yoke sticking out.

Thanks. I've had it off a couple times, I jack the rear only so nothing comes out so it works pretty well :p Yeah I guess you're right about just cutting it off. And it won't affect the seal? I mean other than allowing a bit of road dust to get on the part of the yoke sticking out.

Correct, the seal will be just like the more common seal they sell you when you ask to buy one.

Have to remove the foreskin....
Man, you are SICK PUPPY sometimes.
I knew you were ok. :D

Yea, but I'll bet a dollar that babies squeak a lot louder when it's removed than his driveline did with it there.

Nope. I circumcised the seal on my Dart the other day trying to see what the longest driveshaft length was that would fit.
20160524_194020-jpg.1714937353

-
Back