727 take off problem

-

70greendart

Reaction score
First let me say I know nothing about tranny's. I have a 70 dart with 360 and 727 transmission. It was all rebuilt (no details) before I bought it. The tranny has no other problem other than when I pull up against a curb or any big bump in reverse or forward I have to accelerate pretty high to get it to jump it. I have been told this is probably because a higher than factory stall converter is installed. Could this be the cause? Want to know before I go gettting someone to work on it. How can you know for sure what stall is installed other than take it apart?

Well it does sound like you have a high stall converter. Take it out on a back road, come to a complete stop, nail it. Look at the RPM gauge right when the car launches and that will tell you the flash point of the converter once you start to move. It sounds like a rather large stall than what you need but I don't know all the facts about the car.

If you just start off at a red light and the engine revs pretty high before the car moves that is for sure a high stall converter. Make sure a trans cooler is installed because the stall produces more heat.

Mine does the same and it's because of the high stall. Last night I went to a cruise in and had to drive over a real small curb (about 3") and had to rev it pretty high to get it to pull over it.

Thanks will try what you said and let you know what the flash point is. May be a week or so before I get a chance.

-
Back