727 trans help!!!!!

-

6671dartster

Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster that I just bought a few weeks ago. Took it to have axle bearings put in and forund some issues with the transmission shifting properly. The car has a 727 trans and when you put the car in drive it stays in drive and starts out in drive. It does not kick down into low gear. Same if you pu it in 2nd, it starts in 2nd. I cant seem to get it into low gear. It has an aftermarket B&M quick shifter in it. The transmission does not slip, leak or make any noises. The guy I bought the car from said it has a shift kit. I do not want to gernade this tranny, so I have not drove the car. Any ideas would help, has any one experienced this? Message me back. Thanks:dontknow:

..............Could be the governor sticking..........or maybe it has manual shift as in a trans-go -3 kit............kim........

You might just have an "all manual" valve body. When you get the car drivable, if it is not now, do some experimenting.

If it will start out in 3rd (not actually drive, but actually STAYS in high/ 3rd gear)

If it will start out in 2nd and STAY there

Then you have a manual valve body

These come in both "standard" and "reverse" pattern, IE PRN are in the usual place, but with a "reversed" body, it goes PRN123, as mine in my 67 does

But a "standard" pattern would have 3rd in place of drive, so PRN321, as opposed to factory, PRND21

Dart273, that is what its doing. It is staying in the gear that the shifter is in. so is this normal? Is there anything wrong with it, or do I just have to shift through the gears all the time? I can drive it, when I drop it down into what I would call 1st, its the low gear, 2nd is 2nd drive is drive. So I cant start out in drive I just have to shift. Alot different from my 904.

MadDart, the guy I bought it from is an idiot. He doesnt know his a$$ from a whole in the ground. Thecar is a frankinstine car. I have been fixing things left and right. Thanks for the help Mopar buddies. Life savers you are. Best car sight on the net.

Also start your burnouts in 2nd. Something to do with the sprag I've been told.

MadDart, the guy I bought it from is an idiot. He doesnt know his a$$ from a whole in the ground. Thecar is a frankinstine car. I have been fixing things left and right. Thanks for the help Mopar buddies. Life savers you are. Best car sight on the net.

Must be a Chevy seller!! haaa:D

I am sure you will get it sorted out.

-
Back