727 Trans Rebuild Reccomendations/Suggestions

-

snowymountainman

Hair in the breeze
Reaction score
Howdy guys! I've read a bunch of the topics posted here and It's pretty obvious that this is the place to get the information I need to do my tranny rebuild.

Here's the important information:

1968 Barracuda Convertible (3300-3400lbs)
1972 340 with performance rebuild (+400hp)
8-3/4 sure grip rear w/ 3:23 gears

My plan is to pull the trans and do a complete rebuild unless there is a way to tell if everything is kosher as is. I want to have the confidence in the car that I have in my others and this is one of the pieces in the puzzle that I am not sure of.

I love to cruise with the car but I drive it pretty hard. I'd like to steer away from a manual valve body but I am open to suggestions. You guys have any opinions? Suggestions? Good stories? Beer? :drunken:

Thanks in advance.

a rebuild isnt to hard it takes a maual for the gearbox lots of patience and a kit with all the parts that could be worn out!
dont think its to hard to rebuild if you can let it take the time it takes!
i would recomend the trans-go TF2 shiftkit wich is still automatic and it wont let your gearbox slip on the shifts its a kit that takes a little time to get used to when you drive but ones its there it realy nice!
my 904 gearbox snapped the inputshaft a while ago so i had the oportunity to go thru it again after two years of hard abuse and everything looked like new exept the inputshaft.
my point is that its not to hard if you realy want to!

I have no problem tearing into one of these after looking over my book but I want to hear from the boys that are running them. Guys like Chris who knows them inside and out.

Sounds like you had a good experience. Tell me a little more about the transgo shift kit. Easy to install?

eay i think i have had a good luck with it! i think the instuctions are good cause im not the best in using english and i got it right the instuctions tell you all you have to know, you have to drill a couple holes bigger in the separator plate in the valvebody swap some springs and the scariest thing was drilling out a wall in the valvbody ok transgo sent a good template/holding device so it was easy but it felt a litle wrong, but it worked great!thera was also a oilrestricting plug that i had to put in the transmissioncase but the instuctions were easy to follow and i did all the work in a couple hours (already had the transmission out of the car to go trhu it and check that it was ok) this transmission was rebuilt the yearbefore...

Hi there!

That sure is a super sweet looking b'cuda convert you have!

For your 727 build I would use a good overhaul kit, and a new thrust washer and bushing kit. Its always a good idea to replace the bushings and washers while you're in there.

The transgo tf-2 shift kit is popular. In a few weeks you should be able to ask green67cuda how he likes his tf-2 kit, as I just sent one his way. I would avoid using a reverse manual valvebody, as you would have to change to a reverse pattern shifter, and I don't think that is the direction you want to go with the car (I could be wrong, however).

These transmissions are pretty easy to work on, and only require a few special tools. Be sure to keep a clean work surface, and avoid wiping the parts off with regular shop rags. Blow them dry with air, or use lint free shop towels.

Carl Munroe's 727 handbook has some good info in it. I'd reccomend buying the book to anyone who wants to get into their torqueflite for the first time.

If you need anything or have problems, feel free to call or e-mail! :salut:

Hope this helps!

Shop: 303-660-0522
Cell: 720-939-4896
E-mail: [email protected]

that Trans-go TF-2 is a great kit for a street/strip car i had one in a 68 D200 it made that truck. i can't tell you how many Cameros got some Exabition of Speed tickets because of my almost stock truck it would BARK the tires so loud. it was great.just remember you MUST have the right throtle preasure for it to work the best. if you have any issues with your rebuild let me know i have been rebuilding theses T/F trans for over 30 years.
good luck with your rebuildDon

-
Back