727 trans. Thoughts? Opinions?

-

737jetdr

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else running a 727 trans in your early A body? I just purchased my 66 cuda and it has a 318 roller motor and a 727 small block trans behind it. It seems to be a very tight fit. Just concerned about heat and such. Not much room to work around it either. I am switching the trans downshift linkage over to a cable system to give more clearance for the exhaust. Thinking maybe I should put a 904 back in the car.

I have one in my '66 Barracuda race car. Full manual shift so no need for kickdown linkage. If I needed it, I would probably use the cable setup. I have no heat problem... I'm not sure what your concern is. It's too tight by the firewall/tunnel area to install a tranny blanket and you might have to "message" the seam area so it won't rub. I have the Spitfire chassis headers that fit great but routing the shift cable was critical so you don't melt the cable housing. A 904 will give you more room for a tranny blanket but I don't think it will help much for other clearences. If it's in the car now, run it until it pukes.....that's what I'm going to do. Then I'll put in a built 904!

Tranny is real tight in the tunnal area. This was someones elses project car and I have been sorting out all the problems for 3 weeks now. I'm not real impressed with the mechanical ability of whoever installed the 318/727 combo but it is obvious that it never ran this way. The person i got it from bought it at an estate sale. The exhaust must have been in it with smaller tranny cause it hits on the side of the trans pan . going to have to have that fixed . I does shift ok so i will probably do as you are. Run it till it dies.I have 2 904's sitting in the staging area.

-
Back