727 Trans to 1995 360 Bolt?

-

Raupleminze

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was going to bolt up the 727 to a 1995 360 (I think its a magnum block) the other day and I was using 3/8" bolts and it seemed as if they did not want to thread. Am I usung the right size and thread pitch bolt? Anyone know the size off hand? These components were never together before its a new build so i dont have any "original" parts. Its not metric is it?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

The flexplate(stock Magnum),has one slightly off center bolt hole. You need to elongate that hole to start. Do that 1st. Do you have a stock 727 converter,or aftermarket? My aftermarket one ,takes 3/8" coarse. I.I.R.C.,stock 727 converter the same. Maybe someone,will chime in.
Matters ,if it's a 360 or 318 converter..The early Magnum flex plates,are balancedwith weights on it.(like a 360la). If the torque converter 360,be sure to knock the weights off of it.(neutral balance)

up to 96 the engine is balanced with converter weights, for 96 up to run a nuetral balance converter you will need the 96 up plate which has the weights on it

I was talking about bellhousing to engine block......I think they are 3/8" 16 thread pitch?

If it doesn't thread, can you inspect the alignment and threads with a light and a mirror?

If it doesn't line up, something is wrong with your components. Check your index dowels and pilot holes on the bell, too, to make sure that they are good to go.

The trans should go flush with the block without bolts pulling them together. If you can't do this, your converter pump drive is likely not indexed completely into the oil pump. There are 3 indexes in a converter, stator, impeller and pump. The pump goes in first, but it's the last to idex/ spline.

The converter should index deep enough into the trans that you have about a 1/4"-3/8" space from the flexplate mount blocks to the edge of the bellhousing. So much, that you should actually have to pull the converter forward, toward the crank, to get it to sit flush with the flex plate.

Double check your indexing. You can attach the flexplate to the converter all day long and it will fight you on the bellhousing if it's not indexed into the pump.

Index first, then do your bell bolts, then tailshaft and crossmember, then finish up with converter bolts last. If you don't do it this way, it can leave gaps in places you don't want and give you a hard time with bolting up.

Also, double check to see if the index pegs on the block have slots in them. If they don't you are ok, but if they do, they are offset for a manual trans. I've seen them slip around side to side on engine swaps and give tweaked indexing. I've seen engines set up for a manual trans that ate multiple automatic pump drive bushings and killed multiple transmissions, because of this oversight.

Female threads needed to be cleaned up with a tap, we are all good now. Thanks for the replies guys!!!!

-
Back