727 transmission fluid

-

RSM

Reaction score
Is ATF+4 ok to use in a 727? I need to do a fluid/filter change and have some of this on hand.

Is ATF+4 ok to use in a 727? I need to do a fluid/filter change and have some of this on hand.
The good news is that the 727's are not picky when it comes to fluid types. If you can, flush the TC and radiator cooling. It can be messy, but the best way to do it. Remove the cooler line that comes from the front of the transmission to the radiator, put a hose on the end, and drop the hose into a large bucket. It will help to have someone hold the hose into the bucket unless you can secure it. Set the parking brake and put the trans into neutral & start the car. The fluid will be pumped out and into the bucket. When the flow goes low, shut off the engine and reconnect the cooler line. Now drop the pan, clean it, and change your filter and put it all back together & refill. Have fun!

750ish hp…. amazingly stock component 904…. ATF+4 Looked great inside at 82 passes :)

I've done a little research after I asked the question and it looks like the ATF+4 is a good fluid to use. Thanks for all the replies.

ATF +4 is fine for 727/904.

You can ask many different transmission builders what fluid to use and you’ll get different answers. But to say atf +4 shouldn’t be used because it’s “too slippery” is false. That’s like saying type f is for fords and shouldnt be used in a 727 or other transmissions. You could run pure hydraulic fluid in your 727 and it will be fine. Guys will mix Dex III with type f and put them in their 727s.

Most don’t want to spend the extra money on +4 because it’s a synthetic fluid, which is not a necessity on a 727. However, if you are running the car on the street and it sees pretty high trans temperatures, the synthetic fluid can help with that.

Regardless, the ATF +4 is fine for a 727/904.

It ain't hard to figure out, but I saw his point and was just picking with him. That's what the :poke: means!
I was in atwoods yesterday and saw type F , for 7 something a qt. . I have run type F in all my mopar 727`s , dragstrip and street , hemi and wedge , it has been satisfactory in all , and never had an oil related problem with it ....jfyi

Well.....it should, since that's either 10 or 20 miles depending on whether you're running eighth or quarter mile! :poke: :steering:
….and from what I’ve heard in my circles I’m lucky I didn’t break shafts
I give the ATF +4 a thumbs up…..

I once had a conversation with Dave at his shop (Pro Trans) about fluid. He just smiled and said “run the red stuff”

-
Back