727 trany question

-

tguss

Reaction score
i just pulled a 360 four barrel motor and trany out of a 1980 rv with 54,000 miles what is the electrical plug on the trany for ? its by the shifting linkage.. sorry for no pictures. also under hood it says heavy duty 360 whats heavy duty about it ? it does have the 596 heads on it.

If it's by the shift linkage and has three pins it's the neutral safety switch and reverse lights switch.

If the input shaft of the trans has a smooth end on it about 3/4 of an inch long, then it's a lockup (Overdrive) trans.

i take it that its not a lockup here is what my shaft looks like. thanks for the help .

Attachments

• 350_fig1.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 123
what do they mean by heavy duty ?? its a four barrel motor 360 , is this better then the 2 barrels ??

It's heavy duty emissions pacakge. Internally there's nothing different and what you should have is a plain 727A transmission. A heavy truck would not have a lock up - that was for light duty stuff back then and the input picture is a plain 727. Great find. Teh heads are someof the best LA heads you can get and the transmission should have the 4 pinion planetaries and 4 disc front clutch, plus the "factory high stall" convertor.

That 727 is junk, it is a lock-up convertor.

why would it be junk??? the early lock up converters have pretty weak tcc's but you can get after market built ones that can handle plenty of power. lockup is a great way to free up some power, lower the amount of heat generated, and drop the rpm's a bit in 3rd.

If the input shaft of the trans has a smooth end on it about 3/4 of an inch long, then it's a lockup (Overdrive) trans.

Lockup doesnt mean its a 4 speed.

why would it be junk??? the early lock up converters have pretty weak tcc's but you can get after market built ones that can handle plenty of power. lockup is a great way to free up some power, lower the amount of heat generated, and drop the rpm's a bit in 3rd.

Lockup doesnt mean its a 4 speed.

This is correct, and that's not a lockup anyway so he's good.

No it doesn't.
It means it would be a converter lockup overdrive.

-
Back