727 vs. 904

-

CO/6

Reaction score
I've got a 727 in my son's '81 D150, and I've got a 904 in my '71 Valiant. Any preferences on tranny's. I was wondering if the 904 would ride just as good in the truck and vise versa. Any input?

I've got a 727 in my son's '81 D150, and I've got a 904 in my '71 Valiant. Any preferences on tranny's. I was wondering if the 904 would ride just as good in the truck and vise versa. Any input?
ive got them both and the 904 is good for a 10nth or so but as for ride i dont believe there any diffrence in ride though and i do believe though the 727 is a little stronger from what i hear

what are you trying to do?? is this track truck or just a regular truck use truck??? if it already has a 727 why change it??

The tranny is in a going to school and work truck. No more than 15-20 miles at a time. It's starting to slip. The original tranny was a manual that the previous owner converted over. I have no idea what it came out of, or how many miles it has on it. I've got access to a few good /6 904's and was wondering what difference the 904 would make if I put one in the truck. I've heard that they have a problem handling the truck load due to the weight and rear ends.

/6 will not work on V8 , you didnt state which you were running
100_0369.jpg
[/IMG]

it sounds like hes running a /6 with a 727 witch they do make but hes able to get ahold of a few 904s for a /6 and wants to now if it will hold up, guy my understanding is and dont quote but im pretty sure on this the 727 is stronger then the 904s so if your using this in your pickup id stay with 727

Yes, it's the /6 with the 727. I know the swap from the 904 to 727 in the /6 Valiant wouldn't be a problem if I ever needd to, but the ? was the 727 to 904 for the truck. I'm guessing that the 727 is the best bet. I'll just look for another 727 with correct bell housing or a tailshaft that I can swap out.

Adam they did, If a truck had a /6 it was a 727. This is a cheap way to get a convertor with higher stall, use a /6 727 convertor. Mopar didn't put 904's in their full size trucks.

CO/6 you could put a 904 in your truck but you will have to lengthen your driveline.

Chuck

A regular /6 904 would have 3 disc clutches in it. If the truck is just a driver and doesn't no towing/hauling you may get along ok. You will have to have a longer driveshaft, as the 904 tail is shorter. The mount and linkages should be close enough to make work.

The /6 727 cases were available from the early 70's until the end in trucks, vans, and some police/taxi applications. They came as both standard and lockup.

The /6 uses the same converter as a 318. There was no special /6 converter.

According to Mopar service manuals /6 convertors have a higher stall than the V8 convertor. The convertor itself is be the same diameter but the guts are different.

Chuck

The 727 uses about 15 to 20 more horses than the 904 according to a mopar performance book. The 727 is stronger and is used in Aston Martin and Maserati's when an auto is ordered. Walt

-
Back