727 Vs the 904

-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
I've heard that the 727 (in the car now) uses more power then the 904. I've located a rebuildable 904 and want to know if it's worth doing the swap?

in a car running mid 11s a 904 with 2,74 low gear is about 2 to 3 tenths faster in a small block.

All depends on 2 things mainly.

First: is your trans. giving you trouble cause if it isn't your going to be paying quite a bit to rebuild the 904 and you'll need a new driveshaft and plus the work to change it over for a slight gain.

Second: Yes the 727 does consume more power to spin it (about 15-20 hp) and has a taller gear in 1st but for an average street car you won't see a huge difference.

If your 727 is on the way out it would be a good time to swap but if it's working good why mess with it for a gain of about 15-20 hp.

in a car running mid 11s a 904 with 2,74 low gear is about 2 to 3 tenths faster in a small block.
I agree ! That what I run. 360/904 w 2.74 and 4.10's. The difference IMO between the 2 is that the 727 will need less servicing in the long run. The 904 needs more TLC such as, regular fluid changes and inspection to live with the higher HP, other than that it's bullet proof to 500 Hp with minimal $. Where the 727 needs a driver that knows his trans and the overrunning clutch. I wont go there n start a trans "war". It's just my opinion and what do you want out of the car will also play a big part in your decision. IMO 400hp Street = 727 build it n forget it, it will run forever. Wanna go faster lighten up a bit to the 904, .3 can be a big boost when it comes to the line.

My .02 Eric

IMO, It's not worth the swap unless your racing. The 15 - 20 HP figure is on the big end on a race ride. On an regular street car or street strip ride that isn't seriously racing, it's not worth the bother to swap.

The 2 reasons above are worth it if you also don't mind the prop shaft problem in addition.

T%hanks guys, Guess I'll keep the 727 for a while. It's been rebuilt and runs great, now I do have a OD trans and the car was a 4 spd so maybe.....

-
Back