727 with 3400 stall will not idle in 1st?

-

moparorange

Reaction score
hello,

I have a 71 dart 340 that will idle and run perfect in neutral but when I put the car in first it drops the idle and stalls out. if I two foot the car it will continue to run fine. Should the car be able to idle in 1st gear or should I be shifting it into neutral at all stops? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Bryce

camshaft...initial timing...total timing....?????

This^^^^^^
My guess is initial timing way too low. Timing first then set up the carb & in that order only or you will chase your tail forever.

camshaft...initial timing...total timing....?????

This^^^^^^
My guess is initial timing way too low. Timing first then set up the carb & in that order only or you will chase your tail forever.

Answer those questions.

If you don't know the answer to either at this point, nobody can really assist you.

There are a crapload of threads on this board regarding setting initial timing threads.

It's NOT a 3400 rpm stall Tq converter..someone sold you a bill of goods..(BS converter)

turn the idle up to 3400 rpm...drop it in gear.....should stay running...

Sounds from personal experience like a case of not enough initial timing. What is the amount of your mechanical advance, is the vacuum advance hooked up and if so to what port on the carb (above or below the throttle plates). Likely you need to limit the mechanical advance which will allow you to increase the initial timing which will in turn smarten up the idle and prevent it from stalling when put in gear. What is your initial and total timing?

not enough initial timing should be 12 to 20, throttle plates open to far so its not on the idle circuit, vacuum leak, idle circuit to lean. these are the most common, I'm guessing you have at least two of the mentioned problems.

Could be not enough initial timing

Carb not adjusted right

Vacuum leak

Or engine is low on oil and about to throw a rod

The car has a manual valve body. Would this affect the idle at all? It has a very mild cam.

You posted manual valve body.... A few of those ,are reverse shift pattern( 1/2/high gear/ vs. All the way back is 1st /2nd /drive high gear). Do you know what your converter stall(stock?) & witch valve body you have? It's a long shot, I have seen stranger things....
What is your total combination?, let's start there....

-
Back