-

Robbie2734

Lambcharger
Reaction score
Hi, my 727 in my Barracuda doesn't want to move if It hasn't been used for a few days. I usually pop it into neutral and let the front pump run for a sec and it takes right off. It will operate fine for the rest of the day. It shifts great and has no slippage in any gear. It was rebuilt about 1,000 miles ago (last year) and has been doing this since. I have a feeling the torque converter is draining back but I'm not sure. Any Ideas???

do you have a special valve body in the tranny?

NO, it's just a basic rebuild with a 340 type torque converter...to get a little higher stall speed. It's in my convertible and I use it as a cruiser. It seems to me there was a article I read about a one way valve to stop the converter from losing prime???

I have two bone stock, original, never rebuilt 727's that do it so I would say that it is not because your's is rebuilt. I don't even give it a second thought, to me it is just "normal".

Chuck

Just tell your buddies it has a real high stall converter 8)

Transgo has a kit out that remedies this problem. It is a modified manual valve that you install in the valve body that allows fluid to flow in park. Also comes with a couple of springs and you have to drill one partition in the valve body. I don't remember the number for the kit right off hand but I have a couple out in the garage and tomorrow I'll get the number and post it.

It sounds like the TransGo kit I put in, TF2. Sorry, my car's not running yet to tellya how well it works but I hear alot of guys use this kit and love it. I also used the A518 pan and the solid filter spacer from Mancini Racing on my 727.

The TF-2 kit does have the extra lube/drainback kit in it but the one I was refering to is just the lube/drainback kit. Doesn't include the other stuff to make it shift alot better. It does help the shift but not nearly as much as the TF-2 kit. I looked at the ones I have and they are for the overdrive A518 trans. (had them so long I'd forgot which ones they were). It is similiar but not the same due to the lockup function of the 518. I also looked on TransGo's site and they didn't have the lube/drainback kit listed anymore for a 727 so I guess the only way to get it now is with a TF-2 or TF-3 kit.

i usally put the car in neutral while warm up and ends the prob. but i get it as well when you come to an abrupt stop than go it seems to loose pressure than rev rev then go

i usally put the car in neutral while warm up and ends the prob. but i get it as well when you come to an abrupt stop than go it seems to loose pressure than rev rev then go
That dont sound right to me especially after its been warmed a bit.
You may have a loose mount or something causing a linkage shift. Like its pulling partially out of drive as engine/tranny moves then settles back and hooks up again. I've had the lost gear around a curve due to low fuild but never after hard stop as you described.

-
Back