73 318

-

gcash81001

Reaction score
My stock carb needs to be repalced, I have a eddy manifold waiting to be installed. Would a 650 cfm carb be too big for the stock cam. I plan putting a cam in the car later this year. thanks

is it too big for the stock cam?

heck no, it will wake it up a little, over on dippy.org people are removing there lean burn and putting a 625/650 carter/edelbrock 4 barrel on and getting good results but you really should run dual exhaust

I wouldn't go much larger though unless you get into a really large cam

As long as it's a vacuum secondary, it will be fine. It can be a dual feed vacuum secondary. Even a double pumper at that size would not be terrible, but a vacuum seconadry would be perfect.

yeah the eddy performer 3776, not sure on the carb yet just though about the swapping to over since the stock 2bl is running like crap and leaking.

Holley 80457S (600 CFM vac secondary electric choke), Holley 80570 (570 Street Avenger), Edelbrock 1406 (600 CFM). Any one of these would be great on a 318. More would depend on just how much cam you plan to run.

I think that's a little big on cam unless "later" also includes compression upgrades and cylinder head work. If it was on a 114 LSA, I would say run it.

That's a lot of cam for a low compression 318, unless you have some stall speed and a 3.23 rear gear minimum.......my opinion.

Off the top of my head.....You'll have to modify the fuel line, reroute a vacuum hose or two......and most important, the kickdown/throttle pressure linkage. The 2bbl arm to the carb will be a little short and a little close to the new 4bbl. There are 4bbl arms available, but if you study your current set up and duplicate it with a little fab work you can get it right....and it does have to be right to save your transmission. It's very hard to describe how to modify it over the net. I'll see if I can find some pics to post on what a typical 4bbl setup looks like.

Yes, that's definitely a option. It actually works in reverse of the stock linkage, pull vs push. Just follow there instructions and you would be good to go.

What works good in a 318 is as close as you can get for an equivalent 340 factory cam, er at least a modern version.

I'm running a 70's 318, factory heads and pistons. Headers, Ed Performer, was Ed 625/ 650, and it's snotty as hell. Manual shift TF, 3.70 gears and tall tires give me about 32--3400 RPM at 70

-
Back