73 340 duster exhaust tips weleded or not?

-
No never. You may need to move or adjust. NEVER weld exhaust pipes together if you ever plan to do anything with any of it.

I would tack them in place or they could fly off when your not looking. Many have gone missing due to the clamp not being able to hold the pipe onto the steel tip. It doesn't crimp like the rest of the pipes.

I would tack them in place or they could fly off when your not looking. Many have gone missing due to the clamp not being able to hold the pipe onto the steel tip. It doesn't crimp like the rest of the pipes.
I agree that this may happen on some pipes/mufflers OMM. It is important to note that most any of the pipes where the clamp pinches them have a couple of slots in the pipe (and mufflers do too, see photo) so it/they can be clamped tightly without crushing the pipe. Hack saw two 3/4" long slots in the pipe and you are good forever.

voefinalactendDSCN0121 copy.jpeg

V bands rock IMHO. Dunno about V bands on tips though. Id give em a tack.....in 3 places.

If you don't tack them at least drill and pin the hanger so they cannot slide off. Believe me if the clamp on the tip gets loose for any reason they will come off. The tip is a thick wall pipe and it is chrome plated. The exhaust is always getting hot and cool. They were prone to fall off when these cars were new. They were also easily stolen.

Yes use the clamp for originality if that's what you want. But if its a driver, So do yourself a favor and put a tack weld on or a screw in it where you don't see it or pin the hanger. I had them disappear off cars that were unattended. Just crack that clamp a little bit and see how easy it slides right off the pipe and out of the hanger.

KC, MO must have been less prone to folks having sticky fingers! :):)

-
Back