73 340 external balance factor

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a 73 Dart Sport 340 that has no engine. I may be able to get a complete 73 340 engine to use. It is missing the torque converter. I'm hoping that someone here knows the amount of weight balance I need and where to place it.
Thanks, Greg

use the b&m weighted flexplate...then use any converter you want .....that is the simple way of doing it.

I'm lucky that the balancer is still on the engine. The mill was rebuilt several years ago but still ran when I pulled it out last year.

Professional Products offers a balancer with bolt on weights that covers 4 engines...

neutral balance 340s....externally balanced LA 360s...externally balance Magnum 360s...and externally balanced 73 340s

i was told the cast 340 uses 2 25 gram weights.
they would be opposite the bite about 2 1/2 inches apart near the edge if you wanted to weld them on.
..someone probably has the exact pattern.

You can get a set of weld on weights on ebay, comes with a template to get them in the right spot also. I ended up going with a B&M weighted flex plate instead.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 154
Is it the original?

The 340 was pulled from a 65 Valiant. It was obviously not original to the Valiant. I haven't checked the numbers to see if it corresponds with the Dart. That sure would blow my mind if it did!
I am storing the 340 for a friend that may or may not use it in a 65 Valiant convertible.

You can get a set of weld on weights on ebay, comes with a template to get them in the right spot also. I ended up going with a B&M weighted flex plate instead.

This... The 727 trans,doesn't clear a 65 trans tunnel cleanly.

We need a answer for a cast crank 340/904 trans....

That 10235 flextplate works with both 727/904...ran one in my brother's '73 340. But because of the Hughes converter (no counterweights), we had to use the bigger 7/16" bolts...the original converter used the little bolts so he had to spring for the ARPs.

This engine was rebuilt by a local Mopar guru many years ago. I trust that he used the correct components.
Sorry about the misunderstanding...I just remember reading those stories in the magazines where people look long and hard for the original engine to their car. Some get lucky, most do not.

Well, the reason I asked if the balancer was original to the engine is simply that when it was rebuilt all those years ago, the balancer wasn't 40 years old...it may've only been 15-20, and in good shape. Over 40 years of use and exposure to the elements will allow that elastomer bonded ring to degrade and slip the outer ring from the hub. I'm not implying it wasn't built correctly or that he used poor parts selection. I suggested you look at it because 40 year old parts like that have a finite service life and you may want to look into getting a new one--especially if you plan on any engine operation above 5k rpms.

We need a answer for a cast crank 340/904 trans....

B&M no longer makes the cast crank 340 to 904, unless you find a used one. But the 340 cast crank to 727 will work, has both sets of mounting holes for converter, it's just a little bigger and sometimes the started hits it, using a newer starter off a mid 90's magnum solves that problem or a little grinding on your old starter. I am using one on my cast crank 340/904 combo.

-
Back