73 BBP disc or 4 piston disc brakes?

-

Relax360

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am working on my 70 dart swinger 340.

I was wondering what you guys think is a better choice. Keeping the Original Kelsey Hayes 4 piston disc brakes or cinverting to 73 and up BBP brakes?

I prefer to keep the Kelsey Hayes to match the 4" bolt pattern in the back on any 72 or older a-body....

You will have a lot less problems with the 73 and up. The 4 piston brakes had problems with the pistons sticking but that is my 2 cents.

4 pistons, original and stop better. The reason you hear of the pistons sticking is the same reason they do it in a Corvette people just let them sit and you should go out once a month and pump the pedal a few times. I had my Vette 20 years and never had caliper trouble. I do have the Kelsey brakes for my Cuda`s but have not got around to installing them yet.

Both systems are good if maintained; it comes down to which bolt pattern is preferred for your application. Keep in mind, there are more options for wheel choices with big bolt pattern, which is one of the reasons why many people convert to '73 and later single piston.

Single piston 73 up BBP for more wheel choices, and larger 1/2" lug studs
Also put on bolt on M body calipers with 2.75" pistons as opposed to the 2.60" A body calipers for a stronger clamp grip on the rotor.

Depends on what you want. If it better wheel options then yea BBP, but pattern isn't everything. When you convert with factory stuff you widen the front track. Offset become key and then wheel availability narrows unless you are OK with running spacers or use a narrow wheel and tire up front, depending on your fender clearance and suspension ride height. If its reliability, then the worst thing you can do to any car is let it sit stagnate.

73 and up will give you lots of aftermarket products that are likely to perform better than older factory stuff.

And BBP wheel choice might be bigger.

-
Back