'73 column shift light bulb - where/how?

-
Reaction score
The shift quadrant light bulb is burned out in my '73 Dart. I haven't owned a car with this column in it before; where's the bulb, and how do I get at it?

Dan,
Hang loose and I'll post a couple of pics in a second.

Here ya go. A couple of 1/2" long machine screws are accessible from the back of the gear selection indicator. The bulbs are T161.

Shifter Bulb 01.JPG

Shifter Bulb 02.JPG

Tanks! Looks like I'll need a very stubby screwdriver.

(Now if only I could find where they hid the timer for the ignition switch light, I could probably get that working, too. I know it's under the dash somewhere, but haven't found it yet. Maybe hidden by the A/C duct?)

Tanks! Looks like I'll need a very stubby screwdriver.

(Now if only I could find where they hid the timer for the ignition switch light, I could probably get that working, too. I know it's under the dash somewhere, but haven't found it yet. Maybe hidden by the A/C duct?)

I just happened to have a 1974 FSM right here and it shows the time delay relay going to the ignition switch lamp having 3 wires going to it.Two are yellow and the other is pink and another diagram shows it at the bottom back of the dash directly below the wiper switch.
Hope that helps.

Dan... maybe this will help?
View attachment 74 DartA.jpg

View attachment 74 DartB.jpg

Closest I have Dan but the timer can (Key Light Delay Relay) should be in the same place.
Yes, it is much easer to get to with the A/C vent removed.
It will be just left of the Ash Tray Housing and have a 2 pin connector with 2 Yellow wires on one and 1 Pink wire on the other if memory serves me.
If you need I can snap a couple of pics in my '70 (same wiring) just let me know.

Later,
Bruce B.

Thanks, guys. I replaced the ignition switch bulb, found the delay unit, replaced it, and still have no ignition switch light. Getting under the dash and fixing this and a few other issues is on the list.

Thanks, guys. I replaced the ignition switch bulb, found the delay unit, replaced it, and still have no ignition switch light. Getting under the dash and fixing this and a few other issues is on the list.

That ignition light is a bit of a chore to replace.The steering wheel has to come off for sure but my memory is hazy after that on how much further you have to go.I replaced my bulb when I changed the turn signal switch so that might have been out or unplugged as well to provide access.

-
Back