73 dart 318 to 360 swap

-

fnaramore

POWEEERRRRRR
Reaction score
Hey guys! Does anybody know of any company or person that fabricates brackets for a 318 to 360 swap? Or some diagrams that I can build my own off of?

Also, on a side note just out of interest, what's the most you can safely bore a 318? Heard you risk hitting jackets beyond 4.0 bores

Why not just buy a set of motor mount's for a 360 duster?
They came stock in the year you have so that would be the easiest way

passenger side motor mounts are the same on a 318 and 360...driver side will fit it you shim the mount where it bolts onto the bolt...the mounts are wider then the ears on the block....

watch out if you order motor mounts for the 360...alot times you will get the 318 mount....

now...the 318 is internally balanced ...360 is externally balance....do you know the difference.....ask if you dont know...

Okay cool! And I believe I do. I know that if I want to use my current converter I need to get a weight kit for it; but do explain if you don't mind. Wouldn't hurt to make sure I have it correctly understood.

I'd personally go for the weighted flexplate before welding weights on the converter...keeping it on the flexplate allows you to change converters out if needed...or keep your 318 converter...

why not just slap an internally balanced rotating assembly in the 360?
maybe a nice 4 inch stroker crank?

By that rationale, why not just stroke the 318? No need to buy a new block and you'll still get plenty of torque.

Internally balancing the 360 adds cost...either mallory metal, pistons, or both. And if you're going to go that route, stroking the engine suddenly doesn't look like a bad choice. But, not everyone has the same desires/goals.

By that rationale, why not just stroke the 318? No need to buy a new block and you'll still get plenty of torque.

Internally balancing the 360 adds cost...either mallory metal, pistons, or both. And if you're going to go that route, stroking the engine suddenly doesn't look like a bad choice. But, not everyone has the same desires/goals.

by that rationale, why not just drop in a 440 and call it good?
some of those were internally balanced from the factory :burnout:

Some, yes...getting fewer and farther between...but he asked if the mounts were available or where he could find ways to fab them. I figure if he's interested in building a stroker, that question will manifest in another thread...otherwise, we're just hijacking...

Balance the flexplate..... most machine shops will do this for about 50-60 bucks. I've had it done twice, and it works perfect.

...but he asked if the mounts were available or where he could find ways to fab them. I figure if he's interested in building a stroker, that question will manifest in another thread...otherwise, we're just hijacking...

hijacking?

maybe, I didn't think of it that way
my first post was a direct answer to his question and the other ones were just the type of egging on I would expect from my car buddies

he never said why he wanted to install a 360 instead of the 318 but lets just say that it is to gain more power
power is addicting
after dropping in a 360 a stroker is just the normal evolution
and a 440 after that

I wasn't hijacking, I was anticipating the normal progress of his build :D

Very good point about balancing the flex plate instead; would make it that much easier. That is an idea I had rattling around in my head though, stroking the 318. That's why I was curious how much you can bore them without getting a bit thin on the side walls.

Very good point about balancing the flex plate instead; would make it that much easier. That is an idea I had rattling around in my head though, stroking the 318. That's why I was curious how much you can bore them without getting a bit thin on the side walls.

Only way to know, Rick, is to sonic check it.

-
Back