73 Dart Engine Wiring Harness

-

sl7732

73 Swinger
Reaction score
Well, things went real bad. My son was driving the Dart and there was an engine fire. It appears there was some sort of short in the harness on the firewall and the harness itself is a complete loss.
Does anyone know of a source of new replacement engine harness?
I was looking at a harness from a parts car but replacing a burnt up 36 year old harness with another 36 year old harness doesn't appeal to me very much.
I looked at the Painless products but their very universal and I'm not too convinced at how it would look after install.
Opinions anyone?
Thanks in advance for any input.

Both Year One and Evans Wiring have the harness you need. A new harness is a good idea. :cheers:

You'll need to figure out whats what before buying anything. If the fire was at the bulkhead connector you will likely have damage to the light harness and wiper motor harness. Take a good look at the inside wiring too.
If the short circuit was in added on electrical like sterio, the same could happen again.

You'll need to figure out whats what before buying anything. If the fire was at the bulkhead connector you will likely have damage to the light harness and wiper motor harness. Take a good look at the inside wiring too.
If the short circuit was in added on electrical like sterio, the same could happen again.

Yah, this is going to take some time checking everything. It dosn't look like it was from the bulkhead connector, the worst affected part of the harness is right behind the distributor. Until I get the old harness out I wont be able to tell for sure what happened.

Note to self, don't let son drive car again... :toothy10:

Check the fusible link at the bulkhead connecter with a ohm meter. If it is still good the fault was definately somewhere between the starter and the altenator. Inside the car may not be effected at all. If I had to guess I'd say the bat' wire on the altenator shorted to ground somewhere. Dont be shocked if you should need a new altenator and voltage regulator.
Back when GM had a similar bat' wire going to their distributers it woulld get a tiny spot worn thriugh and short to the intake.

-
Back