73 Dart rear quarter redesign ideas?

-

DQ81

'73 Dart
Reaction score
My rear quarters are pretty beaten up. I als want to fit some chunky tires in the back. I've decided to widen/redesign the wheelwells as the arches are rotten going up about 2 inches around the rear wheel wells.

I'm thinking of using .7mm sheetmetal to fabcricate everything, strong and flexible enough.

I'd like to widen it all by aprox. 2"s. I'm not sure on how I'm going to do it though...boxy, curvy. I want it to look like it fits but that's obviously a matter of opinion. All input is more than welcome.

Like how far back I should begin, wish I was any good at photoshop or something like that to get me going.

Anyone have any tips on how to use such a program etc.?

I'm starting this project next week and want to bang it out in a few days, first I'll make a template out of cardboard, then make that out of sheetmetal and tack it in, see how it looks and if I like it weld it on properly, smooth it over with some fiberglas/bondo and then the whole car is getting a new roller paintjob in flat grey...

Tips, ideas, pictures etc. are all welcome.

Tia
David

Two ideas for your consideration:

1. Old style TransAm. It looks like a mini-tub extended out beyond the fender enough to cover the top to the tire. Most used some sort of fairing to blend the transition to give it a curved joint.

2. Cut the fender horizontally at the trim line and at the bottom. Cut vertically from the trim line to the top of the wheel arch. Pull out the front and rear flaps far enough to cover the tire. This will leave an elipse between the pulled out lower fender and the stock profile above it. Fill with a mostly horizontal piece of sheet steel. There will also be a vertical gap between the front and rear flaps that will need to be filled with a patch panel.

This proposal would look like the Audi S1 rally car in the attached photo. Instead of a having a large scoop in front of the rear wheel, the fender would taper in towards the door jamb. (The black/red/gold/white paint scheme would look pretty cool, too.)

Audi_Sport_Quattro_S1_2.jpg

That's exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of, kind of like a Porsche 944 turbo or a 928 or 924's as the latter still have a straight part to the wheel well like the dart origionally has...

I'm thinking along the lines of the picture you posted but smoother angles and gradual curve up from behind the rear door...

Thanks for the input!

The only thing is how crazy to get..can't look crappy but I'm contemplating getting it wide enough to fit 295's under it without moving the suspension :)

We shall see, as soon as I get to work I'l post some pictures.

More ideas welcome!

PS: Any pictures of similar work done, or the old style Trans Am idea?

if you had some donor front fenders(higher wheel opening), you could use them as a panel with factory looking lines to bring your custom cut metal out to...may have to flip them so that the lies match up better, IE, drivers side front fender becomes passenger side rear.

That's a good idea also, except my front quarters are in need of help also, nothing a bit of rustoleum and fiberglass body filler can't resolve for now.

I might have to do something similar to the front wheel wells as to to the rear to get it all to match AND the fact that I have 8.5J wheels that need to get fitted up front...

The scarcity of wheels here in the Netherlands and my budget are forcing me to get creative, which I'm embracing.

I've gotta look at every option possible, so keep the ideas comin'!

use a set of front fenders for quarters for the opening...then the front and back will match :)

if you had some donor front fenders(higher wheel opening), you could use them as a panel with factory looking lines to bring your custom cut metal out to...may have to flip them so that the lies match up better, IE, drivers side front fender becomes passenger side rear.

there's a guy on big block dart with duster fenders grafted on backwards that looks real good :)

So I decided to go for the Hemi Dart style cutouts of the rear quarters, extended the inner lip of the fenderwell. There was enough rot too warrant it and I really like the look. That and now I can go as wide as I want 8). I'm contemplating highjackers...

I'm happy with the wheel wells, did the first one freehand and then made a template out of cardboard for the other side. Bit of carefull measuring and they seem pretty much identical.

I got rid of all the rot and the homebrew scoop etc...then been sanding and sanding to roll the whole car flat dark grey. I'm happy with the progress and am looking forward to getting it done in the next few days...

pics so far:

Before:
14112008837.jpg

14112008840.jpg

During:
09122008911.jpg

09122008913.jpg

09122008923.jpg

11122008943.jpg

11122008944.jpg

Mock-up with new scoop;
14122008957.jpg

Sanding mania:

16122008984.jpg

The paint;
16122008986.jpg

This is what inspired it all;
04122008898.jpg

Pick these up next week, a steel at a 100,- for the set;
velgen4x.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how things are going, thanks for all the ideas. It's not innovative but definately my style. I can't wait to get my trans in order, bolt on the 4bbl after the paints on and get busy cruisin'!

I'll post finished result pics if you guys like.

David

Good to see my car isn't the only one with the quarter cut out like that. I didn't decide to do it like that, the quarters were all rusted out and when we started work on them we founds loads of bondo. We later figured out that the previous owner cut them out then just bended the flat metal up to make a flange which caved in the rest of the quarter. It a while to fix it but this time we got it done right and I think it looks better than it did stock(not to offend any other die hard Dart lovers).

That's pretty much the same thing that I had to deal with.... rotted quarters.

I had a great time working out the quarters and am happy with the result.

I also like the look compared to stock, kind of Hemi Dart look... If you've got tight quarters and get in to spring relocation and tubbing I really like that look too, but as my quarters were as rotten as they were it seem this was the way to go... I rolled the car flat/primer grey this past week and am happy with the result so far. Window tint to come while I spruce up the motor and trans and then I can enjoy my baby fully. I've got a bunch of gauges to install this Xmass break too...

Pics from this morning finished result, still have to find rims though:

221220081015.jpg

221220081014.jpg

-
Back