73 Dart Sport 340 help

-

lunacy

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some info on these cars. I am familiar with the earlier models, but not much on the 73's. I have come across one for sale, it's a 73 340 with a pretty good amount of rust. It came with the original sun roof/vinyl top so the roof is rusty, floors, quarters, etc. It still has the bucket seats and has the original top banana yellow paint. The original motor is long gone, and the 318 currently in it does not run.

What rear end and transmission would have came in this car?
I know in general 73 aren't as popular as the older years, how about the 340 cars?
Is it worth $800?

I have a tendency to buy a good deal, never get around to working on it and my wife tells me to sell it. I guess what I'm trying to get at is...is this a good deal?

Depends on how much body work will be needed, I think for $800 bucks you should buy...If not I am sure someone on here would buy it. I had a 73 dart sport as my first car, 340-4spd green white interior and hope one day to find one as a project to redo..Good luck..

73 Dart Sports came with 8-1/4 rear, probably 3:21 with or without Sure Grip. If it was an auto it had 727, manual a 4 or 3 speed where possible. Sun roof makes it more desireable but value also depends on amount of rust and the fact it doesn't have numbers matching 340. Unless you know you can flip the car for a profit or you really like 73 Dart Sport 340 I would pass on the deal...IMHO.

1973 Top Banana Yellow sunroof 340 Dart Sport.......................

DSCN0826.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

Mine is an A/C, black bench seat with armrest and fold down rear seat.

They came with an 8.25 rear end with a 3.23 gear. 3.55 was optional.

Take a picture of the data tag and post it here.

I attached the fender tag. Looks like an Automatic, sun roof, black vinyl top, black bucket seats.

I am really on the fence about this one.

100_1211.jpg

Nice ride!!

1973 Top Banana Yellow sunroof 340 Dart Sport.......................

Mine is an A/C, black bench seat with armrest and fold down rear seat.

They came with an 8.25 rear end with a 3.23 gear. 3.55 was optional.

Take a picture of the data tag and post it here.

A19= Oct 19th, 1972. My #'s matching 73 340 Dart Sport convertriple was built a day before that car...A18=Oct 18th, 1972. Cool.

buy it, its worth it and if you don't want it, can be resold to another A body fan easily.

I have found numbers for the 340 cars, something like 11,000 made in 73. Any clue on numbers for the sun roof option?

Using Galen Govier's "white Book" as a reference, here are the production breakdown figures for the LM29H3- 73 Dart Sport 340...

Automatics...6,481
4 spd..........1,099
3 spd..........1,004

There are no known production breakdown #'s on the amount of 73 340 Dart Sports having the M52 option, as Chrysler farmed out the installation to ASC (American Sunroof Company) but, I would guess the % is very low.

015.jpg

Probably around 2% of 73-340 cars came with sunroofs. It's rare so restore it if possible. But it doesn't mean it will be worth big $$$ though.

When I had mine I had never seen one before and most everyone at the cruise and shows said they hadn't seen one or even knew they existed.

Good luck!

-
Back