73 Dart Swinger 360 Newbie

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
Hi,

Picked up a sweet Orange Metallic 73 Swinger with a 360 with some mods. I'm from Cincinnati Oh and a frequenter of the Mopar Nats and a long time MOPAR nut and owner. New to a Dart and looking to start the process of making Her mine. Car is in VGC but looking to make some changes to include pulling the a/c from under the hood.

Looking for a link to see what pulley and bracket to use after the removal.

Also trying to determine the cam in the motor the p.o. did not know.

Interior is great bit driver seat is a bit soft and needs springs or something to stiffen it back up.

Getting some fuel vapors from the gas tank somehow, looking for the vent or source. The vapor canister is still on the car.

Motor has a Weiand intake, Holley Street Avenger 670, headers and 3" exhaust, some type of head work and springs, the sure grip was pulled so it has a 742 3.73 rear end currently. 727 w/ 3500 stall and shift kit also. Sounds hella sweet at idle!

Hi to All!

Marion Hutzel
Cincinnati Ohio

Welcome. We love pictures, of nice Molars. Sounds like a sweet ride.

Here are couple of pics!

So far I pulled the A/C and blacked out the front grill. Also polished out the paint and gave it some Meguire's waxing. The Car has a 77 block and a set of 1980-84 4027596 Heads. Has some newer springs. Compression checks out around 125-130 psi across the board. Fixed a stripped intake/carb bolt, and a set of new plugs and it already runs better! Played with the timing and advance to get 16 at idle no vac, 33.5 degrees and 50.5 total. Could not set it to 18 base as the total went to 54. The vac advance seemed a bit fuzzy. Got 32 degrees @ 2000 rpm.

Ordered new tie rods, ball joint/ctrl arms, and some Hotchkiss pittman and idler arms as the steering is a bit "loose"!

I'm curious about the paint, its orange with some fine metal flake and lotsa of clear. Not sure if this is a factory color or not, car was redone a while back.

Anyway I'm off and running and should be at the NATS in August!

Marion

239_zpsfufddjq2.jpg

230_zpsqj1rvaab.jpg

223_zpssivvzljz.jpg

Hi,

Picked up a sweet Orange Metallic 73 Swinger with a 360 with some mods. I'm from Cincinnati Oh and a frequenter of the Mopar Nats and a long time MOPAR nut and owner. New to a Dart and looking to start the process of making Her mine. Car is in VGC but looking to make some changes to include pulling the a/c from under the hood.

Looking for a link to see what pulley and bracket to use after the removal.

Also trying to determine the cam in the motor the p.o. did not know.

Interior is great bit driver seat is a bit soft and needs springs or something to stiffen it back up.

Getting some fuel vapors from the gas tank somehow, looking for the vent or source. The vapor canister is still on the car.

Motor has a Weiand intake, Holley Street Avenger 670, headers and 3" exhaust, some type of head work and springs, the sure grip was pulled so it has a 742 3.73 rear end currently. 727 w/ 3500 stall and shift kit also. Sounds hella sweet at idle!

Hi to All!

Marion Hutzel
Cincinnati Ohio

I removed the A/C from my '71 Dart GT. Search my old posts for details on what I did. Simple and cheap.

Ssssssweeeeet

As to the cam; theres only one way to know for sure,and its a lot of work,and youll need a couple of specialty tools.

Nothing wrong with 54"total", Vacuum included.
I would call your "base" timing, 16*of Idle timing
I would call your Power timing 33.5*
I would call your 50.5*, Cruise timing
The idle timing and power timing are often written shorthand-like as ;16/33.5 all in by x rpm , where x is the rpm at which the timing stops advancing, with the vacuum advance can defeated.
Since 50.5 - 33.5 = 17; that is your V-can max timing(17*).
Since 33.5 - 16 = 17.5; that is your centrifugal timing (17.5).
If you have iron heads and 130ish compression, you can probably run 36* of power timing, all in by 3400 or so.Unless it detonates. Which is highly unlikely.
That would put your Idle timing at 18.5, a good number, and your cruise timing would jump to 53ish,also a good number.
Thats a pretty sweet Dart, all right.

I removed the A/C from my '71 Dart GT. Search my old posts for details on what I did. Simple and cheap.

Dan,

I did and thanks. Only cost me a Belt From AZ. I fabbed an easy bracket from some old mat'l laying around and used the honking stock bracket as a template! I have dual pulleys on the alt and crank so no grinding even.:D

Badda Boom Badda Bing!

Thanks,
Marion

-
Back