73 dart swinger power brake booster

-

distel

Reaction score
I have a 73 dart swinger 225 with front disc rear drum. I would like to add a power brake booster, the owners manual says that it was an available option at the dealer. I am having trouble finding the booster, any ideas?
Thx
Eric

I have a 73 dart swinger 225 with front disc rear drum. I would like to add a power brake booster, the owners manual says that it was an available option at the dealer. I am having trouble finding the booster, any ideas?
Thx
Eric

Apparently they are on Ebay brand new, but I think it's the complete with master cylinder set.

Yes, I saw a complete new booster/MC/brackets/rod on ebay for $136. A narrow 8" booster that fits easier, and not the GM booster conversion kits you saw previously. Hard to beat that. Don't make the mistake of buying just an O.E. booster, assuming you could find one (getting rare). An A-body also needs the special stand-off brackets w/ lever and NAPA never sold that.

Yes, I saw a complete new booster/MC/brackets/rod on ebay for $136. A narrow 8" booster that fits easier, and not the GM booster conversion kits you saw previously. Hard to beat that. Don't make the mistake of buying just an O.E. booster, assuming you could find one (getting rare). An A-body also needs the special stand-off brackets w/ lever and NAPA never sold that.

Thanks. I was wondering about those brackets. I'm assuming the brackets are installed on the firewall in the engine compartment?

My car has Kelsey-Hayes discs up front and drums in the back. I just put this one on my car because the factory booster was toasted, and I'm quite happy with the results. It's not a perfect OE look, but it's close and that doesn't bother me in the slightest anyway.

http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/rsd-g80011001/overview/year/1970/make/dodge/model/dart

I would offer to sell you my old OE booster so you could have it rebuilt, but the shipping costs from Canada to California would hurt you.

Interested in this as well, does anyone have any further details on this setup? I see several types for the 73 Dart but not sure which is the correct one that I can actually use. I have seen several posts on this and recall someone mentioning that a proportioning valve is needed in the system when you go from manual to power brakes. Would either of these below work on my 73 Dart?

Cardone 50-6101 Reman
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Power-Brake...:Dodge|Model:Dart&hash=item33a65f9a6d&vxp=mtr

Mopar 8" Dual Diaphram POWER Brake Booster Master Adj Prop Valve Disc / Drum
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mopar-8-Dua...:Dodge|Model:Dart&hash=item4d33f2476e&vxp=mtr

Catboy67,
The Summit one is the only one w/ brackets. The brackets attach to the 4 studs where your manual MC bolted. But why pay $224 when the ebay one is $136 (less prop. valve).

Yes, you need a proportioning valve on the rear brake line. You can get an adjustable one for ~$30 (ebay). Adjust it so the rears don't skid until after the fronts skid in a wet parking lot.

If you don't like the heavy cast-iron MC, you can buy a $30 adapter plate to use a newer aluminum 2-hole MC (I did).

That one is a good deal too ($3 more). Keep looking. I saw the $136 one just today and wasn't even searching, but ebay keeps tabs on what you viewed (creepy). I recall that one was an 8" double diaphragm type. I would prefer the smaller 7" booster since many here are happy without a booster for disk brakes.

I got a PM from a poster above. I prefer answering for all readers. The questions were basically what was already asked & answered, but my answer:

The 7" kit on ebay says it will work on a 73 Dart, and I have never seen a car but Mopar A-body that use such stand-off brackets w/ a lever. Certainly isn't for a Chevy since they have a threaded rod at the pedal.

As mentioned, I doubt you could buy the brackets from Mopar or any parts house. Only the booster & MC were considered wear items. Even finding an OE booster is very hard today (and expensive, search "Booster Dewey"), and that wouldn't work by itself anyway.

Bill, again thanks for the input. I shot the PM because I had hijacked distel's thread and was trying to get away from doing that. I think I may go ahead and try that 7" version on my Dart.

-
Back