'73 Dart Swinger__ Oregon

-

Trey_Bo

1973 Dart Swinger
Reaction score
I recently found this 1973 dodge dart swinger on craigslist for 2200.00. The ad said built 360 and TF904 so i decided to go look at the car. After some thought and alot of time crawling around the car i shot a 1500.00 offer which i thought reasonable, After about 20 min of thinking it over he took it and i drove her home. Now ive had the car for a few days and see a few problems such as the trany wont move in 1st gear and it takes off in 2nd.

Im looking into the trany issues and ill post more pics when i get time.
1st day.jpg

front.jpg

Motor.jpg

driver side.jpg

1st day.jpg

front.jpg

Motor.jpg

driver side.jpg

Yeah it was on medfords CL. I took the tranny pan off the other night and it was about 1/8th inch deep with clutch material and the filter looked like a miror from all the metal shavings in it...... so i ordered a master overhaul/rebuild kit from napa today with a B&M stage 2 shift pack. Ive never done a auto tranny rebuild so wish me luck :tard:

Is there anything else i should look into and get that will be worth while doing when the tranny is out? also if anyone has any advice that will make this easer on me......Im listening :profilel:

LOL.. looks familiar :-D

good luck with it.

Photo-0132.jpg

Welcome to FABO Trey Bo! That looks like a nice score even if the tranny's toasted. Best advice I can give on the A/T rebuld is to have patience and make sure all the ball bearings go in the right spots. :-D

Enjoy the car and the best Mopar site on the net. It's terrific to have you here.

I would change the torque converter and flush out all of the lines and the trans cooler too or else all of that junk will go back in the fresh trans.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Oh yeah! welcome to FABO!

What would be a good choice in converter? I plan to do alot of street cruzing in it and also run it at the track. I was thinking about getting a aux. tranny cooler for it but i would still flush all the lines just to be safe.

On another note i just picked up my parts for the rebuild. this is my first time in a auto tranny so i ordered a book on rebuilding a TF from amazon.com i plan to go through that book 4 or 5 times before atempting anything.:read2:

Tranny Rebuild Kit.jpg

Get the ATSG manual for Torqueflites! $20 well spent. Make sure everything is clean, and then clean it again and label all parts.

My technique is to clean each component in solvent, blow off with air hose, and immediately seal in a Ziploc bag. I put a post-it note with each piece in the bag with the number from the ATSG exploded diagram.

If you end up needing other internal components there are Transtar stores in Boise and Portland, whichever is closer. http://www.transtarindustries.com/

Also the Trans-go TF-2 is a better shift kit than the B&M. Might be worth switching if you haven't opened the box yet.

i havent been posting latetly cause ive been disscouraged in a sence. i just had my tranny rebuild not even 3000 miles ago and its acting up on me again and i just had to tear down the front of the engine due to the cam lobe for the fuel pump coming unbolted. ive had alot off disscoraging speed bumps but im trying to get the moral back up to start again.....

youll get there buddy!!! stay with it. glad to have u here and if ya have any questions, dont be afraid to ask. :)

okay so ive been thinking of how to fix my tranny problem and ive kinda started thinkong about a 4 or 5 speed coversion but im only 20 and dont have the financial backing for a tremec kit of anything like that so is there any donar car that is out there i can do a swap from? Or am i stuck with the auto?

-
Back