73 Dart

-

Rumblin_440

Reaction score
I recently bought a 73 Dart Sport and I have a 440 that I was wanting to put in it. Yes I know it will take some work but this isn't something with a time limit I just want to do it in the near future. So I know there are lots of people who have done this and I hope they speak up in this thread haha. I know I have to upgrade suspension and rear axle (I was thinking a Dana 60).Also a new K-frame and the guy I bought the car from was telling me I could get a parts car with all disc brakes and the beefy front spindles that I need but Idk the year I need to look for to get those parts. I'm looking for any helpful advice so speak up please and Thanks in advance!

I have a 383 big block in my 73 Swinger, but can't be of much help. Be patient, I'm sure there will be plenty of help coming from some of these knowledgeable members! Rog

dont your 73 already have the disc brakes in the front with big bolt patt???i know my 73 dart swinger does ...there are comp. that sell the conversion mounts to do this job or you can use a motor plate...youll get some more info from those that have done it .. i havent done the swap but did think of doing it to my 73..mike

www.engine-swaps.com will have the motor mounts you will need and headers.

Bigger T bars and brakes are a good upgrade as is a bigger rad. Will need a BB trans as well. Sure some one else will chime in with more info for you.

You can get the disc brake parts(UCA,s,spindles,calipers,proportioning valve)from and 73up disc brake A-body.These parts can also be had from other model cars,I just don,t want to give you the wrong info.Also look into EngineSwaps(sold through Summit) for motor mounts instead of swapping out the K-frame.good luck.

Ok thanks guys ill look at that engine-swaps.com and see what I can find and if I get there mounts I don't need a new k-frame? Also what is the rear axle length or what cars have a beefy enough rear-end to handle the 440? Im putting a 5 speed in it BTW prolly a keisler unless someone knows of a better route.

There are so many little things that I discovered when doing mine. PM me if you want the details. Good luck!

Attachments

• Dart engine.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 150
  • dart sept 08 left rear.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 141
  • dartrightrear08.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 140
  • Dart interior.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 149
-
Back