73+ Disc Bearing Seals

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
Just wanted to ask those of you that run the 73+ A body factory front discs. I am installing these now, but the rear seal on the bearing doesn't fit snug in the rotor. I've verified the part number and it shows good (I use a 75 Dart as reference for this and other parts). It's snug on the spindle, but a bit loose on the rotor side.

I would think it should snap in to the rotor and will spin on the spindle portion, correct?

You should have to press/drive the seal into the rotor after the inner bearing is greased and installed. There are seal driving tools to do this, but you can use a block of wood and a hammer to do it as well. sounds like you may not have the correct seal.

Drum brake seal? I bet you have a timken 6815 or equivalent instead of the 5121. The 6815 is smaller OD.

There are two seals, one for drum, another for Disc.

Which part number do you have?

I had the same problem with the seals. Most parts stores show the drum and disk are the same. I took the old seal to a bearing place and the got me the right ones. Any one need a few pair of seals for front drums?

Thanks everyone. I just looked up the part number and the bore size I got is 2.5 something, another shows 2.6 something. Looks like I got drum seals...glad these things are cheap, too many "extra" parts floating around in that garage.

Drum brake seal? I bet you have a timken 6815 or equivalent instead of the 5121. The 6815 is smaller OD.

Yup !!

Exactly what I did. Didnt look close enough and picked up drum seals. So I had to reorder disk seals.

-
Back