73 Dodge Dart heat control

-

BillyBob0780

Reaction score
Hi Folks, whilst re striping my Dart down before it goes in for a rewire I have started to look at the heat control lever that has always appeared to be reluctant to move. The cable appears to be seized but it appears to also go to a lever which I assume opens a valve to control the water. Can you get to that item to lubricate it to get it to operate ? Is the cable available? I've also noted a strange set up on the hoses going to the matrix. Are these standard or yet another bodge by a previous owner?

20230205_142114.jpg

Woah, that looks like a dogs breakfast! Double hose clamps on each end? Definitely not stock. That’s a Frankenstein setup!

Those hoses should run uninterrupted from the firewall to the front of the engine block.

Last edited:
Why would that be done ? Could it be due to the heater control issue ? IE when they wanted it hot they'd open the taps? Or is it something more nefarious? I found the Dart was already missing its thermostat when I changed the housing.

That's a mystery. Seems like a lot of work for something like a leaky heater core. Even then, it should be in a loop. Bizarre. :wtf:

Trying to understand the thought process of someone else could drive you crazy. And even if you do figure out why they did that, it might be for the completely wrong reasons! Perhaps he read about that setup off Wikipedia?

You mention you’re already needing to rewire the car, looks like you’re going to need to redo the heating control plumbing too.

Post up any questions and we’ll do our best to help you out.

Well I used to do that--with just one valve--to keep heat out of the cab. Maybe they didn't realize you only need one??

Do you reckon due to the cable issue the previous owner did that to stop the heat circulating ?? The car did orginate from Palm Springs.

The heat control level moves but doesn't do anything. I guess it controls a flap ?? That allows air over the matrix and subsequently heat. The car is stripped before it goes off for a rewire, dash cap off, cluster glove box and radio out... but geeze, no view as to where the cable goes to. I'm again guessing the cable goes to a lever that moves the flap. Has anyone got a photo of this set up so I can ascertain what's what under there? Ive got this manual...but to be honest it's not up to much regarding a breakdown of the Dart set up.

20230210_113427.jpg

Has anyone had a chance to take a photo for me or send me to a link that will ??

Thank You

If you have that manual, the info you seek should be in there. If you do not have AC then there should be no factory valve at all in the engine bay. If you have AC, there should be a heater valve operated by vacuum, and controlled by the AC/ heater control on the dash

Chapter 24: Heaters and Air conditioning

The first few pages up through 24-6 show the simple routing of the heater hoses direct from the heater to the engine on heater - only cars

Page 24-44 shows the vacuum schematic of the AC cars and depicts the vacuum water valve

If what you have is different, either your car is from a foreign land or someone has rigged up something none factory

I didn't look, but there might be some additional illustrations in the parts manuals, and some of those can be downloaded from MyMopar.com Factory parts manuals

It's been a while.... anyway the Dart is back from the rewire. A few issues with that but I'll work through it. Fi Tech system fitted... don't know how well that works came back with zero fuel in it... ten mile road test my ***... the new gauge cluster is showing 3 miles...
I degrees the heater/ac system was beyond trying to fix/source parts etc. There was no chance on my own figuring it out. The question I pose is. Has anyone fitted a heater assembly from another car into one ? I not bothered about A/C aslong as I can control the heat and direct it.

-
Back