73 duster 17" or 18" wheels ?

-

txduster

Reaction score
I am looking at 17" or 18" wheels for my 73 Duster and not sure what size fits, backspacing, tire size, etc... Please post any pictures and specs that you have on your Duster that fit this setup. I am currently running an a-body 8.75 BBP axles, ESPO 6-leaf springs +1" overstock, 10-2.5" drums in rear and stock manual disk set-up in front. At the moment, I am leaning toward 17" x 8", but not sure on BS front/rear or tire sizes that will work.

Thanks in advance for your help!

17 or 18" will fit. there is a thread around here somewhere on how to put a 17x8 mustang style wheel on. give me a few minutes and i'll see if i can find it..

Late model Charger, Magnum, and 300C wheels fit as well.

I am in the same boat as you are. I have a 74 Duster in need of modern wheels/tires.

There are a number of choices for us.
What needs to be done, so that YOU can maximize your effort, is:

Measure YOUR Dusters Differential In Relation to YOUR Dusters Chassis/Leaf Springs/Wheel Tub.
Here is a great tutorial:
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

It seems everybodys car is different, and setup differently....and this question comes up all the time and the answer for one is not always the answer for all.

Here is a good thread about what fits A-body's from Moparts:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=6083482

A 275 series tire for the rear is pushing clearance without the leafsprings being relocated....and wont fit without careful measurement.

255 series tires are an option and usually wont fit without special wheels/spacers.

Most people opt for a 245/45/17 or even a 235 45/17 because of this.

Most aftermarket rims locally available like at discount tire, tire rack, or sears auto service, are the normal sizes and offsets....mostly 17x7's.

On the front your concerns are theDisc Brake Hub register, Upper Control Arm Ball Joint, the outer tie rod and the fender lip....Some of the new wheels have a smaller hub center hole and will not allow the wheel to seat down flat to the hub without modifications or spacers.

Do you have any styles/sizes you are leaning towards now, so we can critique them?

I really like alot of styles of rims here:
http://www.coyswheel.com/
But I really Love the way Gdemon's 6.1L Hemi Demon looks sitting on these late model 300C steel wheels painted to look like Rallys
Gdemon71b.jpg

Gdemon71.jpg

I like 17's and 18's. :)

The easiest setup, in my opinion is a 245/45R17 in the front and a 275/40R18 in the rear. The Duster seems to look better to me with a little bigger wheel in the rear, but this setup give's the same sidewall depth's for a little more uniform look, if you like the pro-touring style.

Only issue with these tire sizes is you can't rotate them, front to back.

Bonus is, this is a common Vette tire combination, so finding tires should be easy.

In the front, you should be ale to run a 17x8 with a +30mm offset off a late 90's Mustang. The rear is going to require either a wider rear axle, or a custom wheel. Like above, you will need to measure your car to see, though, for both ends.

Late model Charger, Magnum, and 300C wheels fit as well.

I am in the same boat as you are. I have a 74 Duster in need of modern wheels/tires.

There are a number of choices for us.
What needs to be done, so that YOU can maximize your effort, is:

Measure YOUR Dusters Differential In Relation to YOUR Dusters Chassis/Leaf Springs/Wheel Tub.
Here is a great tutorial:
https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

It seems everybodys car is different, and setup differently....and this question comes up all the time and the answer for one is not always the answer for all.

Here is a good thread about what fits A-body's from Moparts:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=6083482

A 275 series tire for the rear is pushing clearance without the leafsprings being relocated....and wont fit without careful measurement.

255 series tires are an option and usually wont fit without special wheels/spacers.

Most people opt for a 245/45/17 or even a 235 45/17 because of this.

Most aftermarket rims locally available like at discount tire, tire rack, or sears auto service, are the normal sizes and offsets....mostly 17x7's.

On the front your concerns are theDisc Brake Hub register, Upper Control Arm Ball Joint, the outer tie rod and the fender lip....Some of the new wheels have a smaller hub center hole and will not allow the wheel to seat down flat to the hub without modifications or spacers.

Do you have any styles/sizes you are leaning towards now, so we can critique them?

I really like alot of styles of rims here:
http://www.coyswheel.com/
But I really Love the way Gdemon's 6.1L Hemi Demon looks sitting on these late model 300C steel wheels painted to look like Rallys
Gdemon71b.jpg

Gdemon71.jpg
wow, that looks great! Those are stock 300C rims??? 17 or 18's? Damn, I must have been asleep at the wheel...

Thanks for all the information and help. What I am leaning toward for my 73 Duster are some Cragar 500's, either chrome or grey. Will 17x8 with 4.5"BS fit on front and rear or will I need to go witha 17x8 w/ +6 offset / 4.25 BS? Also, any recommendations on tire sizes if these wheels will work or not. I prefer to have the deepest wheel face as possible and width without spacers.

Hopefully this additional information will help to understand what I'm looking for. I have seen a lot of Duster with 17" wheels (Welds, centerlines, etc...)on FABO, so if you got photos of your setup in this application it would be helpful.

More pics of mine - 17x8 4.5"BS 295/45/17 M/T ET Streets, 17x7 4" BS Nitto 450 225/50VR17's

Attachments

• pic-24.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 4,593
  • pic-25.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 3,328
17's I don't mind at all..........Some really nice "touring" looks to be had with nice 17's...........

18's are startin' to push the envelope toward the "Hot Wheels" look. :grommit:

More pics of mine - 17x8 4.5"BS 295/45/17 M/T ET Streets, 17x7 4" BS Nitto 450 225/50VR17's

jimmyray do you have all stock suspension or some modifications??? thinkin of going with the same size rim and tire possibly 18s. let me know thanks

I have 17 on my demon. They are from a 2007 300. The rims are 17 x 7.5. Tires are 225 50 17 on the front of my demon and 275 50 17 on the rear

All stock wheel wells?

Anyone else have 17" or 18" wheels on dusters/demons? List see them and the specs (size, back space,tire size, etc..)

I finally selected a set of wheels for my 73'Duster. They are Cragar Eliminator 500's in 17x7 (4.25" BS) front and 17x8(4.5" BS). The original tires selected were NITTO 450's 225/50/17 Front and 275/50/17 Rear, but the fronts rubbed the fender and rears were to tight for my taste. So, I ended up going with Conti's in 225/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear. Adjusted the suspension and couldn't be happier with the end result.

Attachments

• i19353.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 3,609
  • i19354.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 4,391
  • i19357.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 5,653
I finally selected a set of wheels for my 73'Duster. They are Cragar Eliminator 500's in 17x7 (4.25" BS) front and 17x8(4.5" BS). The original tires selected were NITTO 450's 225/50/17 Front and 275/50/17 Rear, but the fronts rubbed the fender and rears were to tight for my taste. So, I ended up going with Conti's in 225/45/17 front and 255/45/17 rear. Adjusted the suspension and couldn't be happier with the end result.

I have the same torqlites from page1 on my duster. Don't have any pics yet though.

They're 17x8s all the way around with 4.5BS and 245/45's all the way around. Plans are to add spacers to the rear(for the time being) and eventually get an 8.8 cut the needed length.

My only issue with the 17x8 and 4.5bs is up front where it can rub a sharp edge in the fender well. However, this could be happening because my leafs sagged so badly that i needed to lower the front end just to make it look like it has an engine in it.

BTW, what color of paint did you use for your grill? Is that just gloss black? semi? low gloss?

that looks great! awsome color blue. now you just need to drop that rear down!

looks good. i dont really like more than a 17 on an old car i have the 17" bullits on my duster with 245 45 17 all around to keep it simple.

1972 Duster /Demon Stock front suspension

FRONT
(Mounting Surface to Fender Lip 4.75") Check Yours!
Wilwood Brakes will shorten this to 4.50"

*18x10 Rim w/ 25mm Offset
(.9” from fender lip) IDEAL
Will take a 255-265 Wide tire

**18x10 Rim w/ 35mm Offset
(1.275” from fender lip)
Will take a 255-285 Wide tire

***18x10 Rim w/ 12mm Offset
(.22” from fender lip) TOOCLOSE
Will take a 245/40/18 Wide tire TOO NARROW FOR WIDE RIM

REAR
(Mounting Surface to Fender Lip 5.5"(1.5” wide lip) ) Check Yours!
(Mounting Surface to Leaf Spring 5.875") Check Yours!
=11.375" space or ~10" widerim
3/16” or 4.76mm Offset to position rim to center

*19x11 Rim w/ 15mm Offset (Seems to be standard by a lot of manufacturers)
(Trim rear fender lips by ½”to ¾”) If they are 1 1/2" wide Fender Lips now!
.653 Rear Wheel Spacer on15mm OS Rims)
Or Trim Rear Lips to ½” wide andZERO offset on 11” wide rims

Or buy the MiniTub and Spring Relocation kit from US Car Tool To increase the 5 7/8" to 7 7/8" , then trim your rear fender lips to about 3/4" wide and you can fit a
335/30/18" Tire on a 18x12-45mm Offset Rim
or
305/30/18 on a 18x11-20mm Offset Rim

You can fit an 18x10 rim on the rear with a 285 width tire with almost no modifications.

-
Back