73 Duster 340 engine compartment?

-

Spaaaz

Reaction score
My question is is the engine compartment black or green from factory?

Attachments

• 10487574_10205890477924769_2833547932632162614_n[1].jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 578
Green, the blackout is a surface deal.

Yep as the others said, body color (Of course,mine is black! LOL). And nice car, you happen to be in the Aurora area? Think we met at one of the early season Braconi's meets.

Pat

Another question guys? is this a 73 or a 72? it is titled as a 73 but from pics I have seen 73 has a different shape of the nose. I also noted that the k member was a 72 style with the biscuit mounts.

If it's titled as a '73 it probably is but the previous owner swapped on a '72 hood, grill and bumper. The fenders didn't change over the years so it wouldn't be a difficult swap to make it look like a '72.

If it's titled as a '73 it probably is but the previous owner swapped on a '72 hood, grill and bumper. The fenders didn't change over the years so it wouldn't be a difficult swap to make it look like a '72. Does the VIN confirm its a '73?

There are also partial vin numbers on the radiatior support, rear package tray, and around the trunk seal on a 73 duster.

Another question guys? is this a 73 or a 72? it is titled as a 73 but from pics I have seen 73 has a different shape of the nose. I also noted that the k member was a 72 style with the biscuit mounts.

give us a picture of the back end, then we'll tell you...like H22 said, the front end could have been changed, but it's much less common to change the taillight panel.

this is what the back looks like although this isn't my car pic

Attachments

• 1971-duster-340-wedge-left-side[1].jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 323
If that's the case, then your car has a title mistake (possible) or the title and vin don't match the car. (most likely) Id be checking that out ASAP. you don't want to find out you have a stolen car......

well the only vin on the car is on the dash by windshield and it matches title,i am thinking they took two cars and made one

well the only vin on the car is on the dash by windshield and it matches title,i am thinking they took two cars and made one

That's NOT the only vin on the car, and it would be in your best intrest to verify all that to be sure what you have. You don't want to be out somewhere, or at a car show, and have the car end up stolen or something.....better to protect yourself.

There is a partial vin number on top of the radiator support near the battery, it is easy to see.

Another # sequence on package tray shelf between drivers side speaker hole and rear window channel.

What's the 6th digit of the VIN on the dash? Don't need to tell us the whole thing, the 6th digit is the year. If it's a "2" its a '72, if its a "3" its a '73.

Used to be some vehicles were titled in the year that they sold, not by the body. It happened a lot with trucks in the 50's, although I've seen it with cars as well in some states. A '72 car sits on the lot and isn't sold until '73, and is processed as a '73. Unthinkable now, but it used to happen.

Or it could be some kind of body swap nightmare, as already suggested.

If the first picture is indeed your car, I might be concerned. Not only does it have the earlier nose/grille, but it doesn't appear to have the '72 side marker lights. '72's had the "stick on" plastic side markers that stuck out from the fenders and didn't have any metal surround. Yours appear to be the 70/71 style side markers, which were flush mounted and had metal surrounds. Also, the picture of the rear of the car that you posted is a '70/'71 as well.

'72 tail end and side markers...
gold-duster-rear.jpg

1972-340-duster-rear-stripe.jpg

'71 tail and side markers...
passrearside.jpg

thanks guys I will dig into this further and see what I can find out.this car was purchased from a classic car dealer in northern Illinois so I should have some recourse

-
Back