'73 Duster ABS headliner

-

ozofrushtucky

Reaction score
Has anyone ever installed one of these headliners? We tried to install as per instructions and not much seems to line up very well. Any suggestions?

Seems like there was a post about this a few years ago on here. I know somebody has mentioned this before.

I don't know how common they are. They are after market. I bought it thinking it would be simpler to install. I was wrong. I'm selling the car and I'm going to let the new owner try to install it.

I installed on about a year ago, I ordered it uncovered and installed it with the dome light, sun visors ...etc. I needed to trim back around the front and rear window then had it covered with my own material. It fits nice now but if you don't trim it the windshield gaskets doesn't lay flat.

Last edited:
I installed on about a year ago, I ordered it uncovered and installed it with the dome light, sun visors ...etc. I needed to trim back around the front and rear window then had it covered without my own material. It fits nice now but if you don't trim it the windshield gaskets doesn't lay flat.

Exactly!!!

I bought mine covered already, but figured out it needed to be trimmed back a little during install. I separated the covering from the front and rear edges, cut the ABS back a little and re-glued the edges and it fit great. The glue they used separated though, after some hot days (100*+) the material started to sag in the middle (not the part I did). I re-glued the whole thing with 3M upholstery glue and it's been fine since.

I think the moral of the story is to buy the ABS headliner bare, trim it to fit and then add your own material if you want it covered.

What dose one look like bare ? Any kind of texture or grain to it ? Anyone got a picture?

I don't have a picture of a plain one since mine is covered and I'm not going to pull it to take a picture (sorry!), but there is some texture to the ABS, it's not just a big smooth sheet. At least mine wasn't.

Here's where I bought mine. There's a picture there but it really doesn't show the texture well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050N7BK4/?tag=joeychgo-20

I don't see why not, but what color are you trying to get it to be? The ABS is a dark grey, almost black to start off with. If you wanted it white or a light color I would cover it with something and not dye it. Some 1/4 foam and a tier grained vinyl (like the pre-covered ones they sell) looks good, and with some 3m adhesive and some soft jaw clamps it's pretty easy to cover one.

For a darker color the dye's would work. I dyed the entire interior of my '74 from tan to black. Not the greatest idea, but it worked a lot better than I thought it would. Has held up great everywhere but the drivers upper door panel and the driver's kick panel. Even the rear seat has held up. Of course where it's worn off my driver's door and kick panel it's really obvious what's going on because the panel's underneath are tan and the contrast stands out.

Changing my interior to blue

20160817_202346.jpg

I would try to find some blue vinyl to cover it myself. But they do sell a blue version in the tier grain vinyl. Just keep in mind you'll have to separate the edges to do the trimming. And that you might have to peel the whole thing apart and re-glue it because they don't come installed with good upholstery glue.

https://www.amazon.com/Acme-AFH34-FBTFBH21-Plastic-Headliner-Foambacked/dp/B0050N7DKW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1471814208&sr=8-1&keywords=duster+headliner

And, that's not a Duster. A duster headliner won't fit a Dart/Scamp, although they do sell one for a Dart

All the blue abs headliners ive seen the blue looks to be the wrong shade

They weren't that great of a match even from the factory. The vinyl dye method definitely won't be a good match unless you mix your own. Your best bet would be to call Legendary and see if they'll send you some material and that matches and cover the ABS headliner yourself.

Nope not a duster. Its a scamp. I dont have the old headliner to try and match it to.

Someone eles started thr post. I just been trying to find as much info as i can before I buy one. Thanks for your help

You could always call Herb's and order some blue interior paint. I had a couple cans for a B-5 interior it it was a perfect match.

-
Back