73 Duster build named Fred

-
Not that you asked, but before you end up needing to change your undies like me-I ended up needing to hold the middle of my race weight hood down because it would bulge up around 1000’. I put strips of 1/4” aluminum to extend the hold downs out closer to the front. I’ve seen some folks go right off the core support, but I think it looks better out front. Here’s a couple pics, hood off and hood on:
View attachment 1716222419

View attachment 1716222420
Love your car!

This hood has minimal bracing and I plan on adding a couple of pins after I get the scoop grafted on. Thought about running zeus fasteners for a cleaner look but my car is so ratty as it is, it probably wouldn't look right. lol

Got the scoop cut down. I can't decide if I want to bring the back down a bit more or not. I'll think about it overnight and make a decision tomorrow.
Scoop cut down.jpg

Really digging the flat hood look…. I might have to find a way to run it like this…. lo
I agree, just looks tougher like a street brawler lol. The kind of car that shows up at the local hang out and you wonder how fast is that thing?

Got all 4 glass parts installed. Now to graft in the scoop, make adjustments to the bumpers and rework the trunk lid because it fits like ****.... lol

View attachment 1716222412

View attachment 1716222413

View attachment 1716222414

Do you have the dimensions on the scoop Bill?? Or a part number? Pretty sure that is the scoop I want, or the next bigger size up from that one. Yours looks like the carbs might be too close to the top of the scoop. either way, that's the style of scoop I want.

Not that you asked, but before you end up needing to change your undies like me-I ended up needing to hold the middle of my race weight hood down because it would bulge up around 1000’. I put strips of 1/4” aluminum to extend the hold downs out closer to the front. I’ve seen some folks go right off the core support, but I think it looks better out front. Here’s a couple pics, hood off and hood on:
View attachment 1716222419

View attachment 1716222420
When I finally sealed my hood to the carbs it generated enough pressure or lift to blow the hood right off.

I got lucky because it landed in the grass and it only hurt a corner.

It was weird to look at the hood bowing up and then...POOF. Off it went.

Do you have the dimensions on the scoop Bill?? Or a part number? Pretty sure that is the scoop I want, or the next bigger size up from that one. Yours looks like the carbs might be too close to the top of the scoop. either way, that's the style of scoop I want.
It’s a Harwood 3163. Base 28.5" L x 16" W, Overall 31.5" L x 7" H

AERO MINI II SCOOP (CLOSED BACK) #3163

Got the scoop cut down. I can't decide if I want to bring the back down a bit more or not. I'll think about it overnight and make a decision tomorrow.
View attachment 1716222433

My hood is pinned on like this except I have one more in the middle front. My hood will still lift some in the back heading into a head wind and mine is a pretty heavy hood.

I like the flat hood.

Sounds like it is time to go EFI so you can use a forward facing TB like the LS guys seem to like. You could pick up a Holley top and build your own SBM intake that fits it.

84HP8M*MTcxMDc3ODIxMi4xLjEuMTcxMDc3ODM0OS4wLjAuMA..jpg

:rofl:

Today is supposed to be the day my heads and intake ship back to me. Hoping to get the before and after numbers from him before they ship out and if I do, I'll make sure to post up. :popcorn:

Today is supposed to be the day my heads and intake ship back to me. Hoping to get the before and after numbers from him before they ship out and if I do, I'll make sure to post up. :popcorn:
Cool dude!

Just got off the phone with Mike who’s doing my heads and intake. He said the heads went from 285 cfm @ .500 lift (got turbulent after that) to 318 @ .600 and 319 @ .700. He said good for at least 50hp at the crank and they are shipping today. Waiting for pictures and printout now.

Time to party this time next week!

-
Back