73 Duster collapsible steering column bushings

-

Jetnoise

Yeah okay... wait, what?
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm rebuilding the column on my '73 Duster, and in the course of my adventure, I managed to pull apart the 2 halves of the telescoping steering shaft. On the inner shaft, I found 2 broken "bushings" that ride in the 2 grooves near the end of the shaft. (see photo)

Any idea where I can find a replacement for these?

Thanks!
-Sean

column-bushings.jpg

Hi,

I'm rebuilding the column on my '73 Duster, and in the course of my adventure, I managed to pull apart the 2 halves of the telescoping steering shaft. On the inner shaft, I found 2 broken "bushings" that ride in the 2 grooves near the end of the shaft. (see photo)

Any idea where I can find a replacement for these?

Thanks!
-Sean

View attachment 1715817364
Those aren’t replaceable. That was actually injected under pressure when the shaft was made. The purpose was so they would shear during a hard frontal collision and the shaft would collapse and supposedly cause less injury to the driver.

Those aren’t replaceable. That was actually injected under pressure when the shaft was made. The purpose was so they would shear during a hard frontal collision and the shaft would collapse and supposedly cause less injury to the driver.

Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of.

So it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference if I ran the column without them installed, or am I missing something?

Thanks for the reply! That's what I was afraid of.

So it seems like it wouldn't make much of a difference if I ran the column without them installed, or am I missing something?
This is always a controversial subject when it comes up, but yes, there are many mopars running around like that.

-
Back