73 Duster or 66 Coronet vert for new driver?

-

YY1

Reaction score
Hey folks, just a reality check to see if I’m missing any criteria before making a decision.
I’ve been looking for a running driving classic to fill the desire to drive something old, while restoring my big block 66 Coronet.
I think I’ve narrowed down my choices to the following two local cars:

1- 1973 Duster "survivor" $6K
2- 1966 Coronet convertible $5K

Here’s a brief overview and what I consider the positives and negatives of each.
I’m posting this on the “other” forum as well, to get a different target group.
I guess I’m looking for any thoughts or factors I may have missed, although opinions are certainly welcome.

Duster- 318 with a/c- claims to be the original 133, 000 mile owner. Appears to have original metallic brown paint (still shiny), clean bench seat interior, aftermarket chrome wheels.

Survivor PLUS
Has a/c - good in FL PLUS
Already has disk brakes PLUS
Already has hardened valve seats PLUS
Already has elct ing PLUS
318 probably gets decent MPG PLUS
I already have a nice tuff wheel and a clean set of bucket seats PLUS
Lower potential resale (about 8K in #2)
Lots of “stuff” under the hood besides motor MINUS
I wanted a fold down seat A body
frown.gif
MINUS
I’ve owned a 73 Duster before, but I know 66/67 B bodies MUCH better MINUS

Coronet- 440 model, solid FL car- 273 auto with rusty headers, not many options- Fresh, shiny, correct PP1 red paint over some minor body work, the worst being a patch over the driver’s rear wheel. Looks like they did a decent job, but paint is kinda’ thick. It is red in all the right places, though (under hood, etc). trim is still off and interior has new uninstalled door panels and ugly non original, but new seat covers. 14" Magnum 500s.

Has recently installed electronic ignition PLUS
8 ¾ PLUS
Initial wow factor (it IS a red convertible) PLUS
I know 66/67 B bodies REALLY well PLUS
273 probably will get good MPG PLUS
Potential higher resale value (about 15K in #2)
Convertible- good in FL PLUS
No a/c- bad in FL MINUS
Still has drum brakes MINUS
273 is 1966 without hardened valve seats MINUS

I would choose the Coronet rag top.
Anything you do to it will increase it's value, with the Duster, not so much.
C'mon, you want the rag top, just by the way you worded things!

Uh, I pasted thet from the B body side, and I meant to shift it to have the Duster first, so no one would read into it that I had the B body first in the decription, so I must sub-consiously be already leaning that way :) I fixed it.

It's really a tough call. That original paint survivor with no rust has a certain charm all it's own. Any mods I would do would be "bolt ons".

..............It is really a tough call, 1 only u can make........either would be a great car......i say a rag top wins everytime if in approx the same condition.......good luck......i'm sure u will be happy with either.....i know i would be......kim......

Pics

Attachments

• 5F15Ha5Mb3Lf3J13Hec3qed90552751791065 [800x600].jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 199
  • 5Ie5La5He3I43J23obc3q60741b317f661a9d [800x600].jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 191
Now that i see the pics, i would buy the Duster. It looks to be a better car for the money to me.
I would take the god awful ''Tweety'' steering wheel cover off with a knife though......and that's being nice!
I hate that stupid crap on any car.

Convertable any time.
Not many left, there is still a bunch of dusters out there.

i use to own a 66 coronet 500 conv fun car mine was a 383 4 speed tho talk about a fun tire fryer

If I was getting out of work after a full day and had to jump into one or the other I would rather the Duster. I have owned and still own convertibles and they are nice cars on nice days but every other day I would rather drive that Duster. Especially if the air works with power steering and brakes.

you said you have another coronet project. The duster is more practical as a daily, you just need to maintain it. Why have two projects when you can have one?

If you driving it i woud go with the duster just cause on rainy days the top my not seal good the cornet hasthose drum brakes . The duster has discs and when it just gets to dam hot you can turn on the A/C as I get older I really like haveing working A/C

Yeah, this is really tough.

After talking to my wife, she indicated an open car causes her long, pretty hair to whip her face "raw" (interesting considering she almost bought a Z3 and then almost bought a saturn Sky). She's not "telling me no", but would be less likely to ride with.

I'd be happy with either one, even though they have radically different attributes.

My past 318 cars have all gotten in the 20 MPG range, so I figured a wash on mileage.

I have lost the Duster guy's #, and can't seem to get a email returned.
The Coronet, OTOH, is a lady, and she returns correspondance promptly.

One of my plans for the Coronet, was to put a for sale $8500 sign in the window, and let it attract customers to my business. If someone wanted it for 85, they could have it.

I hate drum brakes, too. Greasy, and potential to lose part of a knuckle or finger...but dammit, I'm GOOD at working on them. An F/M/J body disk conversion is not that big of a deal, either. If it turns out I love the car, I'd even consider modern, aftermarket a/c.

Had the Duster guy returned my email this past week, I'd be driving it and posting pics :) :( :)

As it stands, I want to go over that Coronet with a magnet, to see if I missed any serious dough while I was wearing my rose colored glasses.

What I was really looking for (I know, keep dreaming), was a 68 manual trans, a/c, Barracuda, or a T top F or J body. A fold down seat Duster was also on the list.

...and to make matters worse...the estate of the guy with the Austrailian Valiant RHD wagon just emailed me. They are now willing to sell it in my price range.

That's a LOooONG drive, and I'm not 100% sure I won't be biting off more than I can chew on that one.

...and to make matters worse...the estate of the guy with the Austrailian Valiant RHD wagon just emailed me. They are now willing to sell it in my price range.

That's a LOooONG drive, and I'm not 100% sure I won't be biting off more than I can chew on that one.
This wagon sounds like it could bump the other 2 right out of the equation. Any Pics?

There's pics on another thread.

It's the one that was on ebay a few weeks ago for 10K BIN. Slant, laft handed 3 on the tree

I have a vision of it in orange, with an elongated 70 Duster side stripe, and with a GTS hood and a Dakota R/T drivetrain.

-
Back