73 Duster resto..

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
Well finally starting a thread on the car. It is a 73 duster that is going to be a 410 stroker. This is my car that I bought in High School and have had ever since. This is officially my first car that I have purchased.

Plans:

410 stroker
Plum Crazy Purple
4-link rear
Coil over front end by Badart.
Roll cage
71 duster tail light panel
69 dart grill
70 duster lift off 6 pack or Hemi hood.
all of Badarts suspension parts

Here are some pictures:

The car has a 4.10 B body rear that will not be shortened for the 4-link, but have been pondering going with bigger wheels and wider in the rear. The current hood will be going to Dustya_383. IT will also have glass bumpers and the interior will be black when done with a custom gauge panel and all Autometer gauges. The heater and radio will be welded up and so will most of the empty holes in the engine bay.
Also forgot to mention the whole car will be rewired. A lot of you have a part in this and I thank you. I know I ask ALOT ALOT of questions, but I always like to be sure of the answer then do it and be told I did it wrong.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

View attachment 5733_126475338857_588488857_3103793_3111680_n.jpg

View attachment 269661_10150367261273858_588488857_10408099_3221138_n.jpg

View attachment 529008_10150927012798858_588488857_13119036_469193864_n.jpg

View attachment image.jpg

Got it from MAS Racing, when they were still open. Sucks that they are not open anymore, wanted to get a hood from them. Now I will get another from US Body.

Cool, that will be a sweet ride!!:burnout:

Where you get the front spoiler? and what size and offset are rims and tires?
Thanks

Front are 15x7 rear are 15x8 I have six wheels. The front are 4in bs and rear I have both 4in and 4.5. Also thinking of selling them.

If you ever sell that front spoiler I would like first refusal it would be appreciated. and it looks like you are making good progress.
Thanks

Here are some more pictures of the car to start Memorial day weekend.. got surface rust :(

Should I spray with rust converter and encapsulator or sand blast car?

Attachments

• photo-12.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 927
  • photo-11.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 917
  • photo-10.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 928
  • photo-9.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 936
  • photo-8.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 986
  • photo-7.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 951
  • photo-6.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 935
Kinda butchered it and here are a couple of pics what the new hood and grill look like.

Attachments

• photo-15.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 902
  • photo-14.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 906
  • photo-13.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 901
didnt know you had a thread going until now...its looking good though!!!

our duster are going to look damn near the same between the color and the grill lol.

glad to see you went with the 69 valiant grill,good way to be different than the rest of the pack and being that its all metal, I personally think its a good choice durability wise .....and they look good too!.

Ill take your hood LOL Ive got a nice twin scoop set up but have always like the looks of the 6 pack hoods on the dusters....maybe one day Ill switch it up.

are you leaving the 73 bumpers or converting over to the 70-72 style? I think the 70-72 style would look best on it....and would fit in a little better with the new 70-71 rear panel and the new grill and hood. I have a 70-71 front bumper that I am not using but I think shipping might be a good chunk from MI to CA.

the tail panel doesnt look near as bad as what I was expecting from wht you were describing to me in my thread. it looks pretty good. Just make sure you get everything lined up good and pushed up into place nice and firm, throw a couple tack welds in it. then along the ends hammer the flanges flat against the backer metal and the n plug weld one of your holes,then hammer flat again,then plug weld the next,then hammer again etc...etc... and by the time you finish plug welding them all up it will look nice and flat and clean....and even if it doesnt look PERFECT.....remember its going to be hidden under filler/lead whatever you decide to use. as for the top half of the panel where the end seams are.....if you have any holes in it 9cant tell by pic) just do a little bit of bridge welding...take your time,grind it all nice and smooth and you should be fine. by the time you do your metal work,a little filler work,primer,spot putty,seam sealer....the panel would look like brand new. don't get discourage if it doesnt look just the way you would like right at this moment.

if you got any questions all you have to do is PM me man. looking good though! keep up the good work.

didnt know you had a thread going until now...its looking good though!!!

our duster are going to look damn near the same between the color and the grill lol.

glad to see you went with the 69 valiant grill,good way to be different than the rest of the pack and being that its all metal, I personally think its a good choice durability wise .....and they look good too!.

Ill take your hood LOL Ive got a nice twin scoop set up but have always like the looks of the 6 pack hoods on the dusters....maybe one day Ill switch it up.

are you leaving the 73 bumpers or converting over to the 70-72 style? I think the 70-72 style would look best on it....and would fit in a little better with the new 70-71 rear panel and the new grill and hood. I have a 70-71 front bumper that I am not using but I think shipping might be a good chunk from MI to CA.

the tail panel doesnt look near as bad as what I was expecting from wht you were describing to me in my thread. it looks pretty good. Just make sure you get everything lined up good and pushed up into place nice and firm, throw a couple tack welds in it. then along the ends hammer the flanges flat against the backer metal and the n plug weld one of your holes,then hammer flat again,then plug weld the next,then hammer again etc...etc... and by the time you finish plug welding them all up it will look nice and flat and clean....and even if it doesnt look PERFECT.....remember its going to be hidden under filler/lead whatever you decide to use. as for the top half of the panel where the end seams are.....if you have any holes in it 9cant tell by pic) just do a little bit of bridge welding...take your time,grind it all nice and smooth and you should be fine. by the time you do your metal work,a little filler work,primer,spot putty,seam sealer....the panel would look like brand new. don't get discourage if it doesnt look just the way you would like right at this moment.

if you got any questions all you have to do is PM me man. looking good though! keep up the good work.

Here are more pictures of the ugly SIDE! And yes I will be using the early duster bumpers, I have front and rear fiberglass bumpers and front bumper filler panel. Also the car was suppose to go to paint saturday but my friend is not skilled enough to weld the panel up with a electric mig welder so I have to get my other friend and or hire someone which sucks!

Attachments

• photo-23.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 881
  • photo-22.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 903
  • photo-21.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 879
  • photo-20.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 886
  • photo-19.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 914
  • photo-18.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 906
  • photo-17.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 891
  • photo-16.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 907
get someone thats decent at welding/body work and you will be fine. that panel can be saved.

I did all my metal work with a 110v craftsman gas mig welder....did great.

Yes we are looking for someone with a gas mig..we were using an electric mig. How does your trunk gap look?

You mean flux core mig?. Mines electric but i run 75%/25% gas, with .023 steel wire. Make sure you run the thinner wire, if you run thicker like a. 035 wire it takes more heat to melt the wire which in turn burns through sheet metal much easier.

As for my trunk gap, it looks great, should be pics of it in my build thread

yes flux. mine is ok but not so great and its hard to fix now that the trunk latch part is tacked down here are some pictures

Drivers side looks good but pass. side looks wider. Looks like the tail panel needs to go up in the front

Attachments

• photo-24.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 857
  • photo-25.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 859
  • photo-26.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 884
yes flux. mine is ok but not so great and its hard to fix now that the trunk latch part is tacked down here are some pictures
IF you are running flux core wire!! YOU HAVE TO REVERSE THE POLARATY ON THE WELDER!!!!!!!!!!!!and it will weld pretty but it will have more spalter.the way it is it will only burn holes...........Artie

Yes we are looking for someone with a gas mig..we were using an electric mig. How does your trunk gap look?

I can come by (Fullerton, Ca) and get you all dialed up. From the look your too hot on the welder heat setting. There needs to be zero gap between the two surfaces. Also the flux core wire is kind of a pain considering the material and how the weld will be dressed. It's hard to keep clean.

Let me know...

I can come by (Fullerton, Ca) and get you all dialed up. From the look your too hot on the welder heat setting. There needs to be zero gap between the two surfaces. Also the flux core wire is kind of a pain considering the material and how the weld will be dressed. It's hard to keep clean.

Let me know...

The car is in San Jose Ca sorry!

So looks like the car is going to paint and body tomorrow!! Finally after 5 years of waiting and putting it off! They said they had a welder so now I am excited only thing is it is a 2 hour drive there haha o well!

IF you are running flux core wire!! YOU HAVE TO REVERSE THE POLARATY ON THE WELDER!!!!!!!!!!!!and it will weld pretty but it will have more spalter.the way it is it will only burn holes...........Artie
Agreed, polarity needs reversed between flux and steel (that is if the welder you were using has that option.....not sure if your using one of the cheaper 110 flux welders or not).
So looks like the car is going to paint and body tomorrow!! Finally after 5 years of waiting and putting it off! They said they had a welder so now I am excited only thing is it is a 2 hour drive there haha o well!

AWESOME! , hopefully you get it all tuned in quick and it comes together nicely for you. cant wait to see the results so make sure to take a bunch of pictures of the progress as you go!

as for your trunk gap, hard telling by the pictures.....but from the pictures it looks pretty decent.

if you were closer I would have gave you a hand with all of that.....but your on the opposite side of the country from me lol.

Yeah haha thanks! We took it to the guy and he was like, I wish you would have left it off haha, but he said he can fix it. Im excited and can not wait to see it turns out. After 6 years of driving and not driving and I am going to paint it and I am not going to paint it, I finally am painting it and it is getting a 410 stroker!

So I got some update pictures. Car body work is done, just needs some prep and then ready for primer.

Attachments

• 1007021453.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 710
  • 1007021456.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 709
  • 1007021458.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 786
-
Back