73 Duster Turn Signal Switch

-

ebigga67

Reaction score
I'm working on my 73 Duster. The car came with factory cruise control and column shift. I purchased a rebuilt steering column without the column shift because I moved the shifter to the floor.

When the battery is hooked up the flashers blink. You can't turn them off unless you turned on the turn signal. If you hit the turn signal that signal blinks and the hazards go off. So I figured it was a bad switch and ordered a new one. The new switch came with an 8 pin and a 3 pin plug in. If I plug in the 8 pin the hazards don't come on unless you pull the switch but the turn signals don't flash.

Before I order another switch, I want to know if cars that came with factory cruise control use a different switch and if so, where do i get one?

And if it takes the same switch as cars without cruise control why are the turn signals not working?

I'm stumped and need some help.

ebigga

Is the rebuilt column from the same year as your car? In my experience the cruise control wiring is separate from the the signal switch harness. I added cruise control to my 1970 Dart from a 76 or 77 Aspen years ago, but recall that the wiring was a stand alone harness. I suggest verifying that both your columns are the same vintage as there were some changes over the lifespan of these cars. I ran into something similar when putting a 73 or 74 column into my 75 Dart Sport where there was some slight differences in the harnesses.
You should be able to get wiring diagrams for your 73 from MyMopar.com, I believe 73 is the latest year available there.

Is the rebuilt column from the same year as your car? In my experience the cruise control wiring is separate from the the signal switch harness. I added cruise control to my 1970 Dart from a 76 or 77 Aspen years ago, but recall that the wiring was a stand alone harness. I suggest verifying that both your columns are the same vintage as there were some changes over the lifespan of these cars. I ran into something similar when putting a 73 or 74 column into my 75 Dart Sport where there was some slight differences in the harnesses.
You should be able to get wiring diagrams for your 73 from MyMopar.com, I believe 73 is the latest year available there.

I went from a column shift with cruise control to a column for floor shift without cruise control. That's what has me stumped. I dont see a replacement switch that says it's for cruise control. And I don't know if that even matters.

If I plug in the switch that came with the rebuilt column the hazards are always on unless you turn on the turn signals. Then the hazards go of and the turn signals work.

If I plug in the new switch I bought, the hazards work like they should but I have no turn signals at all.

I hope this makes sense. It's frustrating for sure.

Yup, slight differences in the harness between years- and were (are) some aftermarket switches that weren't wired correctly and the pinout at the connector needs to be rearranged. Get your year FSM and make sure everything is wired according to your diagram.
Fairly common across all years as a quick search will show you:
Search results for query: signal switch wiring

I went from a column shift with cruise control to a column for floor shift without cruise control. That's what has me stumped. I dont see a replacement switch that says it's for cruise control. And I don't know if that even matters.

If I plug in the switch that came with the rebuilt column the hazards are always on unless you turn on the turn signals. Then the hazards go of and the turn signals work.

If I plug in the new switch I bought, the hazards work like they should but I have no turn signals at all.

Unfortunately sloppy ?documentation? with replacement TS and ignition switches is a real deal. DO YOU have wiring diagrams. There are two that you need. Run over to MyMopar and download the FACTORY service manuals, two volumes, body and chassis

Then go to the wiring section and download the aftermarket wiring diagrams there. For reasons I do not understand, the owner has now bundled up those diagrams in groups, so you need to download a zip file, unzip it, and pick out the ones (model) you need and delete the rest

You really need both because 73 is the first year that the factory CHANGED the wiring diagrams and made them (in some ways) harder to follow. The aftermarket ones, while easier to follow (line diagrams) leave out some details and options. I doubt they show cruise control

TSswitch.jpg

TSconnect.jpg

I DETEST this new format. Very difficult to manage. The oval "C23" denotes every wire that goes through the TS switch connector. You can deduce some of them. 18W is the switched brake light power coming in. 18BR and 18 DGN (Dark GreeN) are the outputs to the rear.

18R is the turn signal flasher power coming in

I8P (Pink) is full time hazard flasher power coming in

18T (Tan) and 19LGN (Light GreeN) are the two front lamps. NOTE there are two wires branching off because one goes out through the bulkhead to the TS lamps, and the other feeds the cluster indicators

H320BK (BlacK) is the horn button

Last edited:

I don't mean to sound like an a**, but when you keep repeating the same thing (3 times now), it's like you're not listening to the answers you're getting.
Forget about the cruise control- it has nothing to do with your switch, with the different column it's not even hooked into the harness anymore. Disregard it.
Now focus: your switch is most likely bad/incorrectly installed/wrong year/a repro with incorrect wiring.
As you have been told, you need the wiring diagrams for YOUR YEAR vehicle, and you will need to trace your wires/confirm correct wiring/troubleshoot the issue depending on what you find. Without giving us so much as a picture of what you have, we cannot "see" into your garage and what you're dealing with.
You have to help us help you!

-
Back