73 Project help?

-

RickyBobby

Reaction score
Looking too do a project. I am young so money is limited but I really want to get a 70-76 dart and make it a bada** budget daily driver/weekend warrior. And I was wondering if anyone could give me some useful information. I'd rather use a big block Mopar engine but anything will do considering I'm trying to stay in a budget. Most of the ones for sale near me are all 225s so I would have to swap anyway. I saw maybe one 318 but that's about it. So what engine would be a good and cheaper option? Also what trans? A stock 3-speed wont suit my tastes so I'm assuming there is a 4 speed that could work, or even possibly a 5? Regardless any help is appreciated in starting my nice little Dart project!

P.S. reason I said 73 project was because that was the one year with a 318 I saw, if any of you we're wondering.

A 360 swap,best bang for the buck. A v8 car ,makes it easier. Last one I did,bought a 78 Cordoba parts car(360/727). Stuffed a mild cam,performer intake,hooker comp headers in it.(67 Cuda). Ran 13.61@102,pulled 18 m.p.g.I think ,it's a nice balance. Others,will chime in.

That's not bad. And where do you think I could get a cheaper one? I mainly want to do this just because I'm tired of being surrounded by rice burners, I want to show them how to do a vehicle right lol.

Anywho, what about trans?
And before I forget what rear would work too?

One of the best things you can do right now is wear out the search function on this forum and read till your eyes bleed!Information and research is king when it some to planning for a "project".In my neck of the woods /6 cars are usually less beat down(decent body/interior/mechanicals.bought one 8 years ago for $50 and very clean) then their V8 brethern,but that would leave you looking for a V8 K-member or using "swap" mounts from schumacher etc(added expense)unless you use elephant ears.

a-904 trans will come with the 318, and is a good trans.

Mild 318(cam,headers,4bbl,etc) an 8 1/4 will work for awhile till you move up the power scale then want an 8 3/4.

^^^ Good information. Lots a people here,hate "rice burners". The more patience, the better deals you find. Lots a used parts,lots of experienced people's advice. You found the right place.

Thanks. And I've heard good things about the 904, but I'm trying to lean towards manual personally. I however don't mind using one until I can upgrade

A four speed will add AT LEAST $1k to the build unless you get VERY LUCKY. A five speed at least triple that...

you want to build on a budget? do everything safety and suspension wise you would for the small block/ big block. and learn how to tune and race on the slant. sure it will be slow but you'll learn a ton! you can find 4 speed bell's for a slant motor and use a normal 833 behind it, then swap it into what ever you run later...

remember, you have to stop before you can go fast...

True but I really want a good Mopar, where I live there aren't really any good ol mopars, everyone here is Chevy, and a few Fords. But I want to have a head turner, one that isn't as common, at least here anyway, so although I will take time I don't mind of its not cheap, in the long run its all worth it.

-
Back